Shopping At Local Kirana (Grocery) Shop Vs. At Wal-Mart / Big Bazaar / Mall

So, the Indian government is allowing Foreign Direct Investment in the retail sector in India and that will ensure a red carpet entry to the retail giants like Wal Mart, IKEA and others. I've seen two big brand retail malls 'fail' in my locality and people preferring to shop at local Kirana (grocery) shop over the malls. I asked my mom what'd she prefer and she clearly says that she prefers local shop over mall any day. Why? Following are the reasons which I completely agree with and it made me think in a 'different' way -

Shopping At Local Kirana (grocery) store -

1. Peaceful experience - because you don't have to walk several kilometers to pick up the items you need.

2. The shopkeeper knows you and your entire family by name. You get personal attention, recommendations.

3. You don't have to pay right away. Instead, the Kirana shop owner notes down your balance in your account which you can clear at the end of the month.

4. Saves fuel / time / money because the shop is usually located at a walking-distance (< 50 -100 meters)

5. You can order on phone and get delivery within minutes.

6. You get help picking up the 'best' of the items (potatoes, tomatoes and so on).

7. (Personal help): I don't have to use my brain identify various cereals; I just have to announce the name and it gets packed for me.

8. Refunds / Returns are cakewalk; I don't have to travel back to the mall to return something or get a refund.

What's your take on it?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    you are forgetting some thing else also how about the long queues to pay bills 😲😲
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Here are my views,

1. You have to walk long, yes, but you get immense variety of same product which you cannot get in local store. Besides the variety of different products avilable makes everything shopable under a single roof. This saves transportation cost and you efforts to find 10 different products in 10 different shop.

2. I dont think we should assume that our relationship is great with
    shopkeeper as we are not the only one shopping from him. And at the end, he's doing bussiness. If horse will do friendship with grass, he'll have to starve to death. Its just their tactics, he's earning profit from you. Sometimes its possible he'll hand over you stuffs you didnt actually wanted.

3. You can pay after one month in kirana store? You can pay after 1.5 months in super stores. We 've credit cards for the same purpose which is highly accepted by supermarkets.

4. Justified it in 1st point to some extent. But to some extent, here supermarkets lacks a bit but it frequently happens that product you want is not available at local store so you'll end up hunting it anyways.

5. For this feature you really need to be regular customer of that store while supermarkets allows this feature to its first time shopper too.

7. And sometimes worst too. Supermarkets will generally have the only the best for the price. They have a brand and name to maintain. They will never handover you inferior goods on the name of good ones. In kirana you to pick and you get help in picking while supermaket people has already done for you so what you get is the best already.

8. To some extent this is possible in supermarkets too. You ask the attendant about where your product is located and navigate on his direction without applying your brain.

9. Returns are possible which is the most important thing. I guess you can sacrifice that much of energy if you are getting so many advantages.

10. The point of fact is the product will be cheaper in super market than local store because you cut so many people in the supply chain. I guess this is one of the most significant point.

11. There are frequent promotions offers.

12. If some new product is launched it will reflect way faster in supernmarkets than in local store.

The only people who are at loss due to FDI are the small retailers. The end consumer is in super profit.

Bear with any typos. Writing it from mobile.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Agree with Big K; At the same time Prototype's comments also has some weigh.

Personally, I am a big fan of super markets, but can't ignore the dis-advantages of that. I must say it depends where one feels comfortable. Each had there own pros and cons.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If I make a list of things to buy its the kirana store and if I dont make a list its the supermarket. I roam around and buy whatever I want which is not possible in Kirana store.

Paying bill is the difficult thing in super markets, big big queues 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# nice list to ponder pal
  • Zaheer Jc
    Zaheer Jc

Can somebody suggest me more tips on this topic for presentation. Like pro's and con's of this concept.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I for one dislike shopping. The local mom and pop shop is the best for me. I know the owner and all the employees personally. If they are having tea we are also offered. A bit of gossip also happens if there is no crowd.

Many malls in US are shutting down because of e-commerce. May happen here too.

Almost all kiranas accept e-payments now.

As an old timer I vote for mom and pop.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After keeping almost daily track about curiosity where abouts ( .. and I will do it for rest of its stay on Mars), I am not sure if anyone of...
What is Output of following c snippet? int main(){ char *s="Abhas"; printf("%s",s+ 2); getch(); }
During our childhood we used to play with remote cars..can u say me how it operated?
Hello, I am Satty from Vishakhapatnam. Can someone tell me about the dielectrics in capacitors? What is their role? How do they function?
I want to join the M.tech course, but I don't have information whether I can get admission now. Please suggest me some colleges in Delhi. How it would be to...