Share Your Windows 8 Preview Edition Experience

I'm sure many of you might have installed the latest Windows 8 developer preview edition on your computers. Why not share your own views about the latest from Microsoft?

In particular, share -

1. The hardware on which you've installed Win8.
2. Things you like the most.
3. Things you didn't like or think can be better?

Replies

• avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    I'm sure many of you might have installed the latest Windows 8 consumer preview edition on your computers. Why not share your own views about the latest from Microsoft?
    Corrected. Latest is Consumer Preview

The_Big_K
    In particular, share -

1. The hardware on which you've installed Win8.
    2. Things you like the most.
    3. Things you didn't like or think can be better?
    I have currently hackintoshed my laptop & bit skeptical about installing Win 8 thinking it might screw boot loader. And still I am downloading it, at 78% now, thanks to my blazing fast internet 😁

From other experiences, everyone liked & many disliked Metro UI. Few apps crashing here & there. Boot time has improved significantly. & some even made permanent switch to CP after seeing Metro UI.

Though I feel Metro UI sucks on desktop. It is good for tablets, but not desktop IMO. Win 8 may be failure since MS always failed at first attempt 😁

And btw :

Windows 98 - Success

Windows ME - Phail

Windows XP - Success

Windows Vista - Phail

Windows 7 - Success

Windows 8 - Guess 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mea Culpa 😀 . Well, in fact it did screw up the boot on my laptop running Windows 7. I fixed it and decided to wait until Microsoft releases the stable. I'm not sure whether I'll go back to Windows (unless they've something fantastic in Win8). I made a switch from Windows to Mac and the transition has been smoother. I hope to have the Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 installed so that I never have to look back to Windows.
  • avii
    avii
    I think you tried DP not CP. CP doesn't screw up boot loader, so no worries 😀 As I have installed Lion, I am bit skeptical, but still I am gonna try it once the download is complete.

I have used MS Office for Mac & it is really good. You may feel uncomfortable in beginning since the layout is bit different compared to that of Windows version & it it more like Mac. If you have already accustomed to Mac, then you don't feel any difference. And one last thing, for PPTs use Keynote. It is far more better than MS Office Presentations. However in Word & Excel, MS office rocks compared to iWork.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Nope, I have the CP edition. I'll give it another try (possibly on a virtual machine) when I've more free time 😁

I agree with you that Keynote beats the hell out of power point but there is no match to Microsoft Word & Excel in the whole world. Office 2011 for Mac does offer the ribbon support and I think it's just as easy to use as Office on Windows. 😁
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Processor: Intel i7 Processor 2600
    RAM: 8GB RAM
    Graphics: 1GB Graphics Card
    Monitor: 23" HP Monitor

Few things are, I was shocked to see the speed and performance. It is awesome. UI is good as usual. Waiting to explore more, but didn't get time to check out all the features! 😔 Will update here. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# With *that* hardware, any operating system will 'feel' fast 😀 . Are there any fundamental changes to the way users interact with the system? If yes, then user adoption is going to take some time.

I've heard that Microsoft is asking application developers to remodel their code to adopt the new metro UI. I wonder how difficult that's going to be.
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# With *that* hardware, any operating system will 'feel' fast 😀 . Are there any fundamental changes to the way users interact with the system? If yes, then user adoption is going to take some time.

I've heard that Microsoft is asking application developers to remodel their code to adopt the new metro UI. I wonder how difficult that's going to be.
    PS: I was trying this out in Virtual Machine! 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    PS: I was trying this out in Virtual Machine! 😛
    ...and what's your host machine configuration?
  • avii
    avii
    I guess what he posted earlier is his host machine.

btw @#-Link-Snipped-# - which graphic card you have ?
    avii
    I guess what he posted earlier is his host machine.

btw @#-Link-Snipped-# - which graphic card you have ?
    Zotak 9600GS
    The_Big_K
    ...and what's your host machine configuration?
    That's my host machine configuration... 😀 How can I have a VM with such high... I just cut down it to 4GB RAM.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Jensen Harris from Windows User Experience gives a demo of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A home based business is something that anyone of us can start without little or no funding. It is something that attracts a lot of people, but very few know...
Green Energy is not a new term to anyone nowadays. We read about it almost daily in newspapers and TVs. I was wondering that building a startup around it must...
JavaOne and Oracle Develop conference is taking place at Hyderabad this year on 3-4 may 2012(Link: bit.ly/yOyqHw). I wasn’t able to make it last year but hoping to catch tracks...
Can anyone tell me the best compiler for C in Windows 7??? I am Trying to learn C.
I like to know career opportunities for BE, CSE passouts in Gov Sector. So far I have found out these : NIC​DRDO​OFB​HAL​ONGC​NTPC​GAIL​INDIAN OIL CORPORATION​