Series and parallel circuits

Why is that in a circuit made of series connection of capacitors the total capacitance of capacitors in series is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of their individual capacitances?

why cant it be sum of their individual capacitance as in case of resistors and inductors?

Plz explain this contrary in terms of Parallel circuits too....

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    There are 2 ways to understand this -

1) Consider the voltage equation of a cap V = 1/C * (integral) i.dt. if there are 2 caps in series you have V1 = 1/C1 * (integral) i.dt and V2 = 1/C2 * (integral) i.dt. Total voltage V = V1+V2 = (1/C1+1/C2) * (integral) i.dt. Now if we have an effective cap Ceff such that the same current i flows through it, V = 1/Ceff * (integral) i.dt. Equating these two you get 1/Ceff = 1/C1 + 1/C2.

2) Adding capacitors in series is like having a single cap with the same plate area as the individual caps and distance between plates as sum of distances of individual caps. That is if C1 = EA/d1, C2 = EA/d2, Ceff = EA/(d1+d2) where E = dielectric constant.
    Solve th above equations and you again get 1/Ceff = 1/C1 + 1/C2

For paralle circuits, instead of adding voltages you have to add currents (I = CdV/dt) and you get Ceff = C1+C2.

-Karthik
  • harish3h
    harish3h
    What is the need for considering effective capacitance/resistance/inductance?

In what way does it help building the circuits..

Why do we calculate it?
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    hey harish3h,

actually the response of the whole circuit is depend upon each parameter of circuit.........
    so while designing it kept into mind......

Like in OSCILLATOR circuits 3 capacitors are used because one capacitor gives you 60 degree phase shift where as a combination of three gives you 180 degree phase shift.....

Hope this helps you......

Regards.
    VIPUL
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    reachrkata
    There are 2 ways to understand this -

1) Consider the voltage equation of a cap V = 1/C * (integral) i.dt. if there are 2 caps in series you have V1 = 1/C1 * (integral) i.dt and V2 = 1/C2 * (integral) i.dt. Total voltage V = V1+V2 = (1/C1+1/C2) * (integral) i.dt. Now if we have an effective cap Ceff such that the same current i flows through it, V = 1/Ceff * (integral) i.dt. Equating these two you get 1/Ceff = 1/C1 + 1/C2.

2) Adding capacitors in series is like having a single cap with the same plate area as the individual caps and distance between plates as sum of distances of individual caps. That is if C1 = EA/d1, C2 = EA/d2, Ceff = EA/(d1+d2) where E = dielectric constant.
    Solve th above equations and you again get 1/Ceff = 1/C1 + 1/C2

For paralle circuits, instead of adding voltages you have to add currents (I = CdV/dt) and you get Ceff = C1+C2.

-Karthik
    Superb Explanation !
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Yo thanks !!!
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @karthik- best explanation...concise, but complete.😀
  • sachleen
    sachleen
    hey. #-Link-Snipped-#

best explanation!!!!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There is a ton of extra literature the high school senior receives in the mail during their twelfth grade year. There are special scholarship offers, student financing, and special college...
Here's our special small talk published on December 01,2010: Jay Chopde - It's All About Passion ...an exciting interview about Mr. Chopde's entrepreneurial journey. Your comments and feedback are welcome...
To apply for this: download the fresher.xls file from here: 2shared - download fresher.xls Follow the instructions given in the excel file & send it as an attachment with your...
WordPress recently discovered a minor security flaw in the installable version of WP 3.0.1 and has immediately released a security pack. WordPress officials have said that the security update 3.0.2...
I searched on the net and found out no method to add RSS feed to a facebook group. I wanted to upload CrazyEngineers' Forum Feed to the CE Group on...