Sensors to measure voltage & current generated from Windmill

Hi Crazy Engineers!!!😀
I doing a project for a windmill company. I would like to know are
there any sensors to measure the voltage and current generated from
the windmill . If so can you please name them . If not can you please
say the alternate method. It would be very useful for my project.
THANKING YOU.🎉

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Why won't common voltmeter and ammeter will work on windmill generated electricity? I apologize if my information is not correct regarding windmills, but as far as I know, voltage & current from any source should be measurable by the generic meters.
  • KZ 259
    KZ 259
    i think the OP might want like an automatic readout of the voltage output. a volt-meter/multi-meter would be considered checking it manually. i think this is what the OP is getting at. not totally sure.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    rbnbady
    I doing a project for a windmill company. are there any sensors to measure the voltage and current generated from the windmill.
    How about this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Fluke 233
  • rbnbady
    rbnbady
    Guys.. Windmill company in the sense , a local company is setting up some domestic purpose windmills in the local area.. Its capacity is 1000-5000watts.. Voltage output is 24v.. i donot know the current rating. . but it maybe in some higher values. If you suggest for the ct metering hten can you suggest the rating and the place where to buy it....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    5000 W and 24 V means a current of about 200 amps.
    This can measure up to 10 times that current. You may check this out:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rbnbady
    rbnbady
    i am not looking for a meter .. i need a sensor or any other equivalent circuit which can measure the voltage and also reduce it to a level which is suitable for giving it as an input to the adc in of a pic microcontroller...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If that is all that is required, why not use a voltage divider with just two resistors with a ratio to give an output suited for the ADC?
    Likewise use market available shunts (75 mv full scale is standard) meant for the expected full scale maximum current.
    Sensors usually convert measured parameter like temperature, pressure to voltage. Since you already have voltage available, no sensor is needed.
    The only issue may be to ensure that there are no ground loops. Since the windmill out put is a floating output (unless it is intentionally grounded) this should pose no problem.
  • rbnbady
    rbnbady
    Thank you sir..
    But actually speaking of , my project is to create an automated measuring system for the windmill. I need to measure the voltage ,current , and power and speed of the generator and wind .. I am not going to display these parameters ,instead am going to periodically store these parameters for future reference. I am using a pic microcontroller(16F877A). It is compatible with the above all.. This system will be placed permanently in the wind mill cell and it ll not be disturbed..
    ""My question is how to reduce these measured parameters to the optimum value to be given as an input to the pic microcontroller....
    If am using the voltage divider technique, will it be reliable for long time since the current rating is very high.. can you please suggest any electronic circuit that precisely steps down these parameters to the optimum value..""
    Thanks ...😀
  • rbnbady
    rbnbady
    Thank you sir..
    Actually speaking of my project is to built an automated measuring system for the windmill.I am going to measure the following parameters.
    1.Voltage output.
    2.current output.
    3.power output.
    4.speed of generator
    5.speed of the wind.
    after measuring these values am not going to display these parameters , instead am going to periodically store the measured parameters . I am using a pic microcontroller(16F877A).. The controller is compatible with the above all..I am going to fix this module permanently into the windmill's cell...
    My question is that how can i reduce the measured parameters so that i can give it to the input of the adc of the controller..
    In case of the voltage divider you suggested, will it be reliable for a long period , since the current is large..I humbly request you to suggest me an electronic circuit which precisely steps down these values(mainly voltage and current) so that it will not damage the controller....
    THANKS😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A voltage divider is one of the simplest and most reliable device, as is the current shunt. They can work for decades. 24 volts is quite small and 200 amps is nothing much for a shunt. Shunts are available for many times that value. Since I believe that miniaturization is not of concern for this application, you can use accurate wire wound resistors and suitable shunts.
    Electronics is not my field. But I have used these same devices for up to 10,000 Amps and 50 V. This was a many years back when we were developing electro chemical milling machines for machining turbine blades from difficult alloys. However, as I mentioned we used an op amp to transfer the signal to the ADC to avoid ground loops. Any competent electronic person will wire this for you in a jiffy.
    Nothing to beat simple circuits for long term reliability in adverse environments. Electronic circuits for such simple jobs will only give trouble in long term operations.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you keep the measuring resistor end and shunt end common to the generator negative and the windmill output is not grounded to the grid, then you do not even need an op amp since the signal will be truly floating. All that needs to be done is to choose the expected maximum signal to be within the specifications of the ADC/micro controller.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

blowers, centrifugal fans, and rotary air compressors . are they the same machine with three different names, or are they three different machines with their own unique functions ? as...
Google has acquired the Sparrow mail app. The sparrow mail app is a popular app available on both OSX and iOS. Here's an email from the CEO - Hello, We're...
I found this software while surfing down the latest tech developments. The raptor tool is a Flow chart interpreter, which allows the students to visualize or in other words, compile...
Hi friends, My self my name is Vikas Pawar and I am pursuing Msc IT first sem from LDRP Institute of Technology & Research - Gandhinagar, Here i am for...
First of all, I don't want to call this video as an 'Inspirational Video' that will give you the 'kick' and turn you into an entrepreneur. This video is not...