Sensors and Programs for my smart kid

Hi! I am trying to figure out what sensors I should put on my device that look so much like a pen. I would like to use a pen as my model because the function is to write a digital note using a pen. But I don't know what sensors I should put on my device for it to recognize the stroke/gesture it will make for A/B/C etc. And these recognized gestures will each correspond to a letter or a number or character. The pen does not necessarily have to touch an electronic pad or any surface. It just activates when a button is pressed to start making the said gesture. Please. I need this. I really have a lot on pressure on me and I would like to prove it to myself I am right choosing this path.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    An orientation sensor along with an accelerometer may be enough to start with, I guess.
    Orientation sensor - Detects the position in which pen is held once the button is pressed.
    Accelerometer - Detects motion and direction in X, Y and Z axes.

As I do not have a first-hand experience with any of the mentioned sensors, can't really comment how accurate the output shall be with only these two in place.
  • PackardECE
    PackardECE
    To: lal

If, in case, I put the orientation sensor and the acceleration sensor on the pen, what device could I use for the motions to be recognized and match it to a corresponding motion already saved? What program or microcontroller?
  • lal
    lal
    I'll not be able to answer that very well for my inexperience in the domain.
    Let me tag #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    PackardECE
    To: lal

If, in case, I put the orientation sensor and the acceleration sensor on the pen, what device could I use for the motions to be recognized and match it to a corresponding motion already saved? What program or microcontroller?
    To be frank it is not going to be a hobby kind of project. As you will need a very compact PCB and all components to match with Pen body. Again Yes you can use controller kind of things to check motions and compare with the previous loaded motion, but for that you need a very nice and firm algorithm.

I remember there were one pen developed which used to type on PC when you write anything with it on any surface. That might give you some nice idea on how to go further. Let me find that for you.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# here you go :- #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do you guys identify that the logged in user is a Robot???
Hello All, I am trying to solve this problem using slope deflection method but I am stuck with the deflection condition. Please help me out. Thanks, Bhooray
India's premier engineering institutions, IITs will adopt the 'Credit Score' system. The highlights of this system are multiple - a regular 4-year course can now be completed in just 3.5...
guys i am interested in constructing a dancing bot which moves in sync with a background music. for that i need to know about music sensing. could any one help...
How good r they? Can one rely on this to start career👎