Self-Driving Car Technology Is Getting Ready - But Will It Work In India?

Self-Driving car technology may make it to our four wheelers in near future as BMW and Continental have rolled up sleeves to make it work by 2025. The technology these companies are developing is called 'co-pilot' and it enables us to enter an era where the cars will drive themselves to the destinations while you eat pop-corn & listen to music. The companies aim to take the technology to road in the next few years. The automatic, self-driving cars will be tested on European freeways and German autobahns with a selected group of daredevil volunteers, but there's nothing to worry about as such.

Both BMW and Continental are experienced in the semi-automatic driving technologies. Continental has worked with leading luxury car makers like Mercedes on adaptive cruise control & emergency braking. BMW on the other hand has already demonstrated its capabilities with TrackTrainer - the car that rules the race tracks with high precision GPS sensors and high-resolution video cameras. The prototype car did much more than self-driving. It'd use biosensors to check the medical parameters of the driver and if it sensed an emergency (say heart attack or drowsiness), it'd take the control of the car from driver to itself. It'd even to emergency stop if required.

slide
Image Credit: BMW​

The non-auto companies are also taking deep interest in self-driving car technologies. We've seen Google trying to develop its own self-driving car a few months ago. Audi too did a few tests in Nevada last year with their self-driving car and successfully did over 24,000 kilometres of automatic driving.

With the teaming up of BMW and Continental, we can expect some accelerated progress on this technological front. The aim of the JV between companies is to collaborate using their previous research and make the technology safer and ready for business.

The question I can't refrain from asking to our CEans - do you think self-driving cars will ever be successful in India? Having no one to blame and fight even for smallest collisions on the road ain't cool. Right?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    I read about this post on TIME, when they tested it on road it gave almost 100% result with no accident. So I think there would be no problem to run car in India
  • sumit suri
    sumit suri
    Truly, this technology will prove to be real beneficial across the major countries............but in india, i think companies will take time to think over it.............
  • Eric Mariacher
    Eric Mariacher
    * today’s drivers is to get relieved from the sometimes tedious task of driving, especially in traffic jam or on highways.
    * car manufacturers is about security:
    * Volvo’s vision: “no one is killed or injured in a new Volvo by 2020”
  • sumit suri
    sumit suri
    there will be a revolution after this technology, but it will not be easy to establish a coordination between drivers and autodriving technology..............
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    This will only work where traffic rules (esp. lane driving) are followed - impossible at least in cities in India.
  • atul-namdeo
    atul-namdeo
    i think automatic cars will not be succeded in india due to over population, bad traffic system..
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Well, nothing is possible, but looking at the growth in number of vehicles in India, it would be very very difficult to implement this technology as experts says number of vehicles would be 450 million by 2020 which is more than the population of US.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just thought of compiling a list of tallest buildings and skyscrapers in India. Maybe CEans can help extending the list and discussing tall buildings. Here we go- Imperial Tower 1...
Okay, the Galaxy Note 2 is winning hearts worldwide and it looks like Samsung will launch the Galaxy Note 3 at IFA in Berlin. The dates for the IFA have...
Samsung Galaxy S4 will be launched with Exynos 5 Octa CPU in India, says a report from SamMobile - the blog notorious for correct Samsung related leaks. Samsung is likely...
I have installed xampp v1.8.1 on my laptop and i wanted to run few jsp pages using it. Can anyone please help with instructions on how to do that?
The thing is i have been using Nokia 3110 Classic for about 5 years. And i think its time for me to change my phone, i searched and came to...