Scary or Cute - What do you think this robot is?

I stumbled upon this new robot from Boston Dynamics and I'm unable to figure out if this robot is cute to too scary (given the movies it can make). You decide!     

UpTown Spot - YouTube

Replies

• Amar Oke
    Amar Oke

It was scary until 0.20 and then suddenly it's cute. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yeah! Cool moves! This one's scarier though -

Parkour Atlas - YouTube

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Did you say Boston Dynamics or Dynamite?

I have always followed BD’s developments in Robotics and thrilled by  them.

• durga ch
    durga ch

Boston Dynamics creations are all quite fascinating. Its amazing the precision with which they compute their environment. I only wonder if they can do as good in a unfamiliar environment.

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

More scary shit from BD #-Link-Snipped-#

• durga ch
    durga ch

Why is this scary? 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Great development , but if you see the third one , its quite capable of doing anything.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

That's not as scary as the thought that the robots might have filmed themselves when after the engineer's shift was over. ? 

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

I think that bot with a gun would be scary as hell. #-Link-Snipped-# 

• durga ch
    durga ch

why would bot have a gun? Ironically until now, humans with guns are far more scarier.May be we all should be less influenced by terminator sort of movies.

The scarier part in my opinion is what will humans do if AI can do things more efficiently and effectively?Current AI is quite narrow, we still have a long way to reach Artificial general intelligence.  

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - if the bots had to have a gun, we'll still have humans to blame for it. 

#-Link-Snipped-#  - I believe AI development is going unchecked.  There's nothing to prevent BostonDynamics folks from creating bots with guns and rifles. I'm not sure about it - but there were updates in the media that China is looking to deploy AI powered drones near Indian border. I couldn't find any reference to it but sure AI is the technology to carefully observe and keep eye on. 

I am fascinated by how companies like Amazon and Google are making their computing power open to public via APIs. They can't really check how are their APIs being used. Yes, it's still nascent but the pace of development is quite fast. 

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-#  : Humans are capable of turning anything into a weapon of mass destruction and AI is no exception. I dont think absence of regulations should deter R&D efforts.

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

#-Link-Snipped-# don't get me wrong humans are scarier than everything else on earth.... But do not undermine the scary part of AI and ML. Musk to fears AI. Elon Musk's Last Warning About Artificial Intelligence - YouTube

#-Link-Snipped-# it is impossible to stop AI development. Do you not think there should be some kind of check on the development? I fear technology landing in the hands of bad people. 

• durga ch
    durga ch

#-Link-Snipped-# - do you recon there is no AI component in Tesla cars or spacex rockets? I don't think so.

As I mentioned earlier, lack of regulations should not deter Researxch in AI. It's quite easy to draw parallels between AI and CRISPR when it comes to research . Both are deemed controversial and not necessarily human-friendly. Recent article around Chinas first CRISPR baby caused much backlash and uproar. But can you stop them? No. This is how we are progressing at this point in history. Rather, efforts should also be made to regulate them So we know when to Draw the line

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

Agreed and I think we agree that no one can stop China or anyone from doing what they want. I think that makes it scary. WWII has seen how US used Nuclear bombs and even though everyone knew they were fatal, no one could stop them. I do not know if I should compare atom bomb and AI. AI research is driven by financing from big corporations and government agencies. Each of them have their own agenda and I think there's no general guidance on where to draw the line. 

• durga ch
    durga ch

Again, why is it frightening? They aren't releasing it to public. The deep fakes existed since quite some time now. And since Elon Musk is on board , it looks as though there is some responsibility in regulating here. Few months ago- Facebook's AI bots started communicating in their own language and we're eventually shut( can't confirm) , Microsoft's Tay's plug was pulled as soon as idiots around internet started teaching her radical stuff.

As I mentioned earlier, only when we go so far can we know how far. Regulations are secondary. 

15m training set. And a huge model. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm a student of 3rd year nd I don't wanna go for placement . So kindly tell me what I do for government sector?
Artificial intelligence approach for a disease evaluation
Hi i have completed my btech(eee) in 7yr... Currently i m 25...i dont have any work experience.. I know that I have ruined my life.... Is this any possibility to...
I am just a script kiddie who request you all to explain what metasploit is and how can i master on it with having some basic stuff about working with...
We are super happy and excited to launch the latest feature on CrazyEngineers - Connections!Connections is one of the most important features we were working on since past few weeks...