Scared Of GD & PI (HR Interview) - What To Do?

One of the CEans wrote to me -

Sir, I have completed my 3rd year of mechanical engineering and final year will be starting from august.

Companies will start visiting my campus from august onwards. My aim is to secure job in core mechanical sector either in Design or in R&D job profile. I don't know how to proceed to achieve this. I am very much scared of two things - first is GD and second is PI or HR interview. I can handle aptitude, written tests and technical interviews well.
Please suggest how can I prepare myself for GD & PI.
Since this is a very common issue faced by most of the CEans; I'll answer it here.

From what I've experienced is that people are afraid of Group Discussions and Personal Interviews is because of their lack of confidence in expressing themselves in 'English'. Typically the GD topics are the ones you and your friend would discuss over a hot coffee in your native language, taking stands, listening to others, making your points and so on. But when the same thing is asked to do in a formal environment and that too, in the language you're not very comfortable with: People get very uncomfortable, scared and nervous.

The lack of confidence in expressing directly fills in the fear of failure and that's where things start collapsing. People who'd otherwise shut other's mouth with intelligent arguments, surprisingly shut their own mouths in group discussions.

There are two ways this fear can be eliminated -

1. Stop fearing English: In India, the corporate world demands that you're well versed and fluent in English. So stop fearing the language and practice it with your friends or join an English speaking course where you can get rid of your speaking fears.

2. Read a lot: Being genuinely interested in things around you helps. Read the newspapers, magazines, books and so on and your mind opens to ideas. You will be astonished to see how creative your mind is when it comes to generating new ideas in real time.

It's not easy to do either; but there's no other way. Take GDs as just a 'formal' version of your coffee-talk and you should be fine. If you don't have any points to make on the topic; just listen to what others are saying and then form an opinion - then make sure your opinion adds some value to the ongoing discussions. That's how GDs can be cracked.

For personal interview, read my post "How not to be nervous during any job interview": #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    me too felt uncomfortable very much facing situation like this . tried a lot but stuck always at particular moments . ๐Ÿ˜”
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Correct. Another point of fear in GDs is Lack of interest/knowledge. Like i don't have interest in politics so always get scared in GDs when i get any politics related topics.
  • AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    Sometimes its difficult to synchronize with the other members , too. In cases where unknown topics given its difficult to control the flow .. in my case I often stopped and got blank .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In a group discussion, never try to 'control' anything. You're expected to make your point so that it adds some value to the ongoing discussion. A topic could either be unfamiliar to 'you' or the whole group. In that case, try to pick up your points from what others are saying and build the discussion. Be participating and keep your ears open to others. You don't have to 'prove' to be better than others.
  • AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    sorry but want to add a thing ... what if the points I thought already told by someone else .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AbhishekBiswas
    sorry but want to add a thing ... what if the points I thought already told by someone else .
    You don't have to make unique points all the time. Of course, if you have something unique to say - nothing beats that. But someone already made the point you wanted to make, then you could elaborate it; add examples, experiences more information etc.
  • graphite
    graphite
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thank you very much your guidance will really help us to crack GD & PI.๐Ÿ˜€
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    *pushkar*
    Correct. Another point of fear in GDs is Lack of interest/knowledge. Like i don't have interest in politics so always get scared in GDs when i get any politics related topics.
    My personnel experience, It was an off campus, So I don't no any of the team member's in GD. All where sitting as if they are so strict, having a rigid face(9 member's). I thought its going to be tough. Then the HR came inside and asked,had lunch? I was the first person to say 'NO' and said I feel very hungry. He smiled and said to introduce yourself.( just name and college). Then asked what is GD. Everyone started talking about what is GD. That discussion itself, was for 10 minutes. I thought, After completion for this discussion. They will leave. But my judgement was wrong.๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Then, The HR told us to choose topic on our own. I was saying foreign investment, economic policy, management rules, etc... Everyone was against it. One guy said, Lets discuss about ragging. But I was against it. At last the HR itself gave the topic "corruption". Everyone discussion was about lokpal bill and 2G scam. And rules to be followed. Again I was speaking against all of them. Giving out lot of statistical data's. And this discussion took place for nearly 45 minutes. ( But still it not yet over)

Then, we were given separate topics. My topic was Why students prefer abroad for higher studies? To be true, I don't have any idea. So I spoke generally about the quality of education, finance And I said directly to the HR, I don't no much about it.( for 5 min)

The rest of the topics are why girls are better in studies than boys? development of technology? ...
    At last GD ended.

P.S: At last while leaving the room, HR called me alone and said, You are the most talkative girl I have seen.
  • sarathus6
    sarathus6
    aarthivg
    My personnel experience, It was an off campus, So I don't no any of the team member's in GD. All where sitting as if they are so strict, having a rigid face(9 member's). I thought its going to be tough. Then the HR came inside and asked,had lunch? I was the first person to say 'NO' and said I feel very hungry. He smiled and said to introduce yourself.( just name and college). Then asked what is GD. Everyone started talking about what is GD. That discussion itself, was for 10 minutes. I thought, After completion for this discussion. They will leave. But my judgement was wrong.๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Then, The HR told us to choose topic on our own. I was saying foreign investment, economic policy, management rules, etc... Everyone was against it. One guy said, Lets discuss about ragging. But I was against it. At last the HR itself gave the topic "corruption". Everyone discussion was about lokpal bill and 2G scam. And rules to be followed. Again I was speaking against all of them. Giving out lot of statistical data's. And this discussion took place for nearly 45 minutes. ( But still it not yet over)

Then, we were given separate topics. My topic was Why students prefer abroad for higher studies? To be true, I don't have any idea. So I spoke generally about the quality of education, finance And I said directly to the HR, I don't no much about it.( for 5 min)

The rest of the topics are why girls are better in studies than boys? development of technology? ...
    At last GD ended.

P.S: At last while leaving the room, HR called me alone and said, You are the most talkative girl I have seen.
    finally did u got the job? pls guide me also..i've enough knowledge in everything..but the problem is in that atmosphere i feared. so the words are stucked in my throat...how can i overcome that situation?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    sarathus6
    finally did u got the job? pls guide me also..i've enough knowledge in everything..but the problem is in that atmosphere i feared. so the words are stucked in my throat...how can i overcome that situation?
    I understand your fear, but if you can do what I am going to tell, you'll have a great success.

Try to start the GD. In this way, you'll direct the discussion towards the points which you're familiar with. Not to forget, there are extra points for starting. I've noticed from personal experience that all the hesitation remains until you've not spoken anything. Once you speak even one sentence, you'll become much more comfortable to speak more. So forget everything and think like the speaking your first sentence is the biggest motive of your life. To speak out the first sentence would be the most toughest part, but once its done, it'll just become candy for you. Its ok if you cannot start the GD, the world doesn't end here. Just inaugurate yourselves in GD as soon as possible.

And never ever oppose or favor any topic just to highlight yourselves ( where others have opposite opinion than yourselves). Only do it if you're confident that you've enough information about it, otherwise you'll get own3d miserably.

A GD prior to interview is very necessary. If you pass the GD, your confidence will just skyrocket and you'll just have next to no fear in facing the interview.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    sarathus6
    Ya, Got placed. Only thing is that, Be confident. No one is going to eat you up. Script your mind, If you fear, you will lose. And start participating in debate section.๐Ÿ˜€
  • sarathus6
    sarathus6
    Thank uso much...i hope it'll help me in interviews..if any doubts may i post questions to u?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sarathus6
    Thank uso much...i hope it'll help me in interviews..if any doubts may i post questions to u?
    Post them in reply to this thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of us are obsessed with taking the 'right decision' at the right time. I've often wondered whether there anything like 'right decision'? After some thought, I found out that...
Just follow following steps : Create any new folder or you can use any existing folder that is to be hidden. Rename the folder to any name but with the...
At the top of your Facebook profile, you'll see the five most recent pictures containing a picture of you. You can use this section of your profile to make a...
Create a folder that looks customized in Microsoft windows, by saving one of the images or a copy of an image in the folder as folder.jpg. Once this has been...
Hello, i'm Kosi , a 400 level Electronics Engineering Student of University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Being a female student hasnt been very easy because think you dont know what you...