saudi Women have been banned from construction work to 'protect' them!

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Labour has banned women from construction jobs and many areas of metal manufacture in a newly published statement that aims to clarify its gender expectations.

Adel Fakeih, labour minister, has produced a shortlist of 20 jobs deemed unsuitable for women despite wider efforts to encourage them to enter the workplace.

Women are prohibited from “construction work” generally, including repair work, painting, and anything that involves climbing ladders. They are also banned from roles involving digging, laying concrete, repairing or cleaning machines.

Other areas of work from which women are banned include rubber manufacture for tyres, mining, welding, coal production, glass melting and “working in the copper industry or with lead complexes containing more than 10% lead”.

“These decisions are not meant to change our customs or traditions,” the minister said yesterday. “The Saudi woman has every right to work. We are only implementing regulations that will protect her and ensure her rights.”

New restrictions did not apply to foreign women, he added, and it also did not prevent Saudi women from owning companies in the sectors in which they cannot work as employees.

The minister explained that the government is devising new regulation for women in the workplace alongside new regulations concerning the Saudisation of women jobs to come from the Ministry of the Interior.

The minister encouraged other government departments to give feedback and questions as to the new restrictions

‘Saudisation’ is the catch-all term for the government’s nationwide scheme to encourage and install citizens in jobs throughout the private sector. Earlier this year it launched ‘Nitiqat’, a system of assessment that categorised companies operating in the country as ‘red flag’, ‘yellow flag’ or ‘green flag’ depending on the proportion of employees who are Saudi nationals.

Red flag companies – those with the smallest proportion of citizens - have been given until 26 November to address the balance of their Saudi count before the government imposes fines. ‘Yellow flag’ companies will be given until February 2012.

The nationalisation of the workforce has alarmed some international partners, such as India, which has millions of workers in Saudi Arabia, mainly in the construction industry. Last month, the ministry moved to assure Members of Consulate General of India, Non-Resident Keralites Affairs that there would be no immediate mass expulsion of workers as the Nitiqat regime takes effect.

source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Banning women from 20 different sectors? Weird. 😐

Why is working in this sectors considered bad for women? Just in the name of culture and tradition?😐
    Thank God they can at least own companies in these sectors.

But this may be a great news for us actually, we can have great civil engineers like our CP 😀 because saudi won't allow her to work there. 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The climate in the Middle-East is not suitable even for men to work. Just yesterday i got a call from my dad who said that the temperature in Kuwait was declared as 50 degree celsius. They'd declared temperatures a little less than the actual temperature, so i believe it must have raised to atleast 55 degree celsius in Kuwait yesterday. Saudi is the nearest neighbour and about 90 times larger than Kuwait. So you can expect what it would be to work there at such extreme conditions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Understand the basics of Vapors Power Cycle. Lecture Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your...
Hey guys, I don't know whether this is an appropriate question to be posted on this website but I could think of no other site for this query. I hope...
Gas Power Cycle-I explained in simple words. Lecture Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your...
This video lecture on Thermodynamics of Reacting System : Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute...
Thermodynamics of Multi Component System. Lecture Series on Basic Thermodynamics by Prof.S.K. Som, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions, doubts and contribute your ideas in...