SAP Functional Vs Technical Consultant

I am reading about SAP and wanted to know the difference between a SAP Functional consultant vs a Technical consultant. Since the early days, SAP Functional consultant is someone who deals with the business processes and writes specs and did configuration. Whereas a SAP Technical consultant is someone who is a programmer trained in ABAP. I think in recent times, the role has been merged. Therefore, someone who is looking for a career in SAP needs to be trained in both - functional and technical skills. This is particularly important if the process if CRM - i.e. Customer Relationship Management.

To put it in brief, from what I've gathered, A functional consultant -
1. Gathers requirements from the client
2. Translates the requirements into functional specification.
3. Needs to know CRM Base Customizing and Business Terms

Technical Consultant :
1. Needs to understand the functional requirement from the functional specs.
2. Translates functional specs into technical specs.
3. Does the coding as per the technical specs.
4. Needs to know basic ABAP
5. Needs to know basic business processes(optional).

Could you guys share some more light on the topic?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The project aims at converting a rough hand drawn diagram to a neat diagram. Is it a good project for B.Tech level?Please tell how to go about it??
I found this on the Internet and started thinking. Why do we have to always step out of our comfort zone to achieve success or achieve 'anything'? Why are we...
Sir,I am using samsung galaxy y.I am not able to upload file while starting discussion.when i select upload file,it opens a tab with choose option.i selected a file and choosed...
Hello fellow CEans If you own an android device and want to customize its theme to something interesting and different than what you have always been seeing,then here is a...
sharing amazing ideas with engineers, who are unbeatable and unbreakable with respect to crazy mind techniques