SanDisk 128 GB MicroSD Card Launched In India for Rs. 9999

SanDisk, one of the leading companies in the world that manufacture flash storage devices, has announced world's first 128GB MicroSD card for Indian markets. The card isn't cheap though. Priced at Rs. 9999, it's certainly going to be beyond most people's budgets. It's also one of the fastest microSD cards available in the markets. Marked Class 10, the card is rated to have minimum performance of about 10 MB/s; making it ideal for capturing full HD videos and ultra-high resolution still photos. SanDisk says that the card will be very useful for the Android smartphone and tablet users to store all of their photo, video and music collection.

SanDisk-128GB-India-Price

Sandisk had announced the card back in February. If money is no bar for you and you've made up your mind to purchase this card, it'd be worth sparing a moment to see if your phone, camera or tablet supports 128GB microSD card. Good folks at AndroidForums have posted a list of compatible phones, tablets and cameras that support this card. See the source links below.

Note that Windows Phone 8 does support 128 GB MicroSD cards. If you are a Lumia 1520 owner, you should be able to use this new card without any problems. We'd however recommend that you should confirm it before you make the purchase.

We've a video introduction of the card for you. Do check it out and let us know your comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The memory card might be pricey but it would solve one's storage problem once in for all. The only problem that you have pointed out in the story is that not most phones support this microSD card, but for smartphones that are capable of recording 4K videos, this card will be a god sent.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Storing 4K videos will definitely need the memory storage to be upgraded to TBs. I wonder how long will it take before engineers fix that up.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    It took engineers eight years to get from 128 MB to 128GB and getting it up to a TB will surely take at least five more years.
    PS: Are class 10 cards like this fast enough to handle 4K videos ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Storing 4K videos will definitely need the memory storage to be upgraded to TBs. I wonder how long will it take before engineers fix that up.
    There is the reason why H.265 & VP9 is being developed.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    It took engineers eight years to get from 128 MB to 128GB and getting it up to a TB will surely take at least five more years.
    PS: Are class 10 cards like this fast enough to handle 4K videos ?
    128 MB to 128 GB was 1000 times improvement;1000 times improvement in 8 years,

Going with the same pace (though IT is going exponential), 128 GB to 1 TB is less than 10 times (just 7.8) and should be evolved in well within a year.

The main problem would be how many mobile device would support that?
    Also, with a growing popularity of cloud do we really need to depend on hard storage that can fail at any point of time?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think Solid State Devices aren't the answer to mega storages. People will have to resort to the traditional tape drives. The breakthrough will be when the speeds of SSDs are achieved in mega-storage devices.

#-Link-Snipped-# : Google's done a lot of work in compression algorithms; but nothing really has come closer to meet the demands of 4K and 8K videos.
  • jayaprakash.m
    jayaprakash.m
    128GB MicroSD card for Indian market Priced at Rs. 9999, its cost very high.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Recently, Netflix introduced 4K Video streaming and it requires 2 MBps bandwidth to stream, which is huge! As per my calculations, around 7 GB (2 x 60 x 60) data is consumed in one hour of video recording constantly at 2 MBps. So, overall a movie of 120 minute will hardly require 14-15 GB of space. I guess, we don't need TBs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - check out this utility that lets you calculate how much of storage will be required by 4K stuff: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# LOL! That's funny stats. You know why ? Because Netflix launched 4K streaming service, and its CEO said that any 4K UHD TV with >=16 Mbps bandwidth can stream it. However the more, the better but 16 Mbps (2 MBps) is minimum required.

Now, as per the funny stats from the link you gave, it consumes ~455 MB data for 1 sec video which is too huge that I don't think any user can stream it. Plus it is uncompressed bitrate, while Netflix uses H.265 for 4K streaming.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I don't generally write this kind of reviews but this incident really pissed me off. This is the first time I've been having a bad experience with snapdeal...
HI CEans. I am facing a issue here. I am using a Yashica Digi Cam and Its loaded with Kingston 4GB sd card. When I am using it in cam,...
i am create a new bot
When I was first introduced to the computers years ago, I wasn't impressed. All I wanted to know whether the machine would provide me answers to the questions I directly...
Saw this on a forum in someone's signature... Have a look Lol ! I like it 😛