Samsung's Social Network : Will It Work?

Samsung Facebook is the secret project Samsung's software engineers are working on currently. The company plans to announce their own social network sometime in the first quarter of 2013.

I've always believed that the hardware controllers will ultimately rule and determine where the direction technology will be headed. For example, we migrated from Desktop software to everything-cloud-based and now 'Apps' based connectivity is emerging. Samsung is a hot selling brand on the mobile/laptop/tablet front and they exactly control what 'takes' people to various services.

If Samsung embeds their new social network and makes it incredibly easy for people to use it, I think Facebook will have to rethink their strategy.

How will it work?

Samsung will have a ready access to all your existing contacts and it will easily connect them using their apps. So when your contact captures a new photo, you'll quickly know about it, without ever needing to use FB.

What do you think?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yep, the news surfaced after Korea Times published a report claiming that Samsung is on its way to launch a social network next year. From what was reported, Samsung is looking to build on the social service it already has available, “Family Story,” which allows you to share pictures and messages between connected devices such as TVs and tablets.
    On one hand we have Facebook, which is not exactly doing too well (in terms of its share price) at the moment ever since its IPO launched. Everyone out there is arguing that we already have enough social networks that provide the majority of features. Business Insider, the blog has gone as far as to bash this as the worst idea ever.

From what I can see on Facebook, there is a lack of innovation. The social network has come to a level where it has become stagnant. Users from US have already started opting out of Facebook. It only is a matter of time, when every other country follows suit. So, where will all this traffic go?
    Right! To something else. And this something has to be better.
    We cant say if Samsung's social network will work or not, but it definitely has a chance. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In my views all network sites are like bubble unless they are specific and innovative.
    What pulled people from Orkut to Facebook is Like button, online collaborative games and no privacy.
    I had a Facebook account but not using it, until one of my friend asked me to be join a partner of a game.
    After that people are constantly started moving to Facebook because of openness.
    Interesting to see the launched date of
    Flickr( February 2004), Facebook ( February 4, 2004), Orkut ( January 24, 2004).
    Orkut is almost dead and Google is planning to bury it.
    No matter google+ and facebook added very rich content and high quality photo upload but Flickr is still best option for Photographers.
    Facebook have to have launch a killer feature every year to be in race. I think even a single wrong move will kill them.
    Definitely if Samsung come with great idea, they can rule as they are ruling smartphone market not. Does anyone knows about samsung mobile before 2009. now its Samsung sharing 50% smartphones market share.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ianoop
    In my views all network sites are like bubble unless they are specific and innovative.
    What pulled people from Orkut to Facebook is Like button, online collaborative games and no privacy.
    I had a Facebook account but not using it, until one of my friend asked me to be join a partner of a game.
    After that people are constantly started moving to Facebook because of openness.
    Interesting to see the launched date of
    Flickr( February 2004), Facebook ( February 4, 2004), Orkut ( January 24, 2004).
    Orkut is almost dead and Google is planning to bury it.
    No matter google+ and facebook added very rich content and high quality photo upload but Flickr is still best option for Photographers.
    Facebook have to have launch a killer feature every year to be in race. I think even a single wrong move will kill them.
    but what do you think about Samsung's move?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ^^, edited my post.😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In a latest update from Engadget, Samsung has stated that it's not planning to offer a social network along the lines of Facebook.
    So, even though people are referring to it as Samsung Facebook, the company says that they are just going to offer its own Family Story service and upgrade it in the coming year.

Upgrade it to what? 😨
    Plus, Samsung is good at hardware. So, what exactly will are they trying to attempt in this new software?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    May be they are talking about Social hub app😒 which integrates all networking sites+Mail at one place
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Samsung's come out to say that they aren't working on anything to compete with Facebook.

Oh really, Samsung? Come on, you own the hardware, put it to some better use. Facebook competitor on mobile would be quite awesome, if you ask me. Just make sure that you get the privacy settings right.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Samsung will have a ready access to all your existing contacts and it will easily connect them using their apps. So when your contact captures a new photo, you'll quickly know about it, without ever needing to use FB.
    How does this feature work?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is for all the freshers who've gotten offer letters from Tata Technologies. Share your story and also tell us which center you're joining for the initial training. Let's...
Let's start building groups again. All CEans who've been recruited in Accenture either through walk-ins or campus recruitments, please unite here. Let's form a group of all Accenture joiners. Wouldn't...
i attempted old gre and i got 970 ..what are the universities can i get with this score ??
Microsoft is expected to be in the process of counting money to acquire 'Yammer'. The corporate social network, Yammer which makes it incredibly easy for teams to collaborate. The social...
I am Umoh Felix Effiong, An undergraduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Cross River University of Technology(CRUTECH), Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. I am here to learn and to also help others...