Samsung REX Vs. Nokia Asha

Let's prepare for the Samsung REX vs. Nokia Asha war! Samsung has announced the REX series of phones, aimed at competing with the Nokia Asha series. Both companies know that there's a huge market in India for the sub Rs. 5000 phones and want to have a big share. These entry-level smartphone markets, if I'm not mistaken are dominated by the Micromax, Spice and Lava's of India.

Nokia's betting on their S40 platform and instead of adopting android for their REX series, Samsung has decided to go pure Java. Now, it'd be a common sense to understand that there won't be significant development on the firmware side of these phones and the phones will have to rely on the existing java based apps.

I wonder why did Samsung not choose their Bada operating system for the REX series. Bada has been around and has proven to be a stable operating system that runs pretty well on limited hardware.

Price war it is, I think.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Micromax has launched their latest phone Bolt A35 in Indian markets for price Rs. 4250. The phone is android phone that uses gingerbread and has wi-fi support. Of course, for...
If you are looking for a 'to-do' app for your iPad, look no further. The beautifully designed 'Wunderlist' app is now available on iPad and I'd definitely recommend the app...
As engineers who care for the environment, I'm sure most of us have replaced the traditional 'yellow' bulbs in our houses with the CFLs. If you haven't, you should immediately....
Virool - the viral video network that reaches over 22 million people has just raised $6.62 million funds in what they call as their 'seed' round. Virool got the investment...
In the recent times, I've me a few engineers who have been working on their 'ideas' but are terribly afraid to take the plunge and start their entrepreneurial journey. I'm...