Samsung Gamepad Vs. NVIDIA Shield Comparison

Samsung Gamepad is the latest entry in the mobile gaming arena. The gamepad lets you setup your phone as the main gaming device and provides you with a physical controller. The device will let you hook up your Android 4.3 device - viz. Note III, S4, Note II and SIII and offer connectivity via Bluetooth & NFC. We believe the choice of compatible phones would be larger in coming days because Samsung says that it lets you fit 4" - 6.3" phones. Of course, other Galaxy device owners will be able to use HDMI cable or AllShare technology for screen mirroring and watching all the action on the TV sets.

Here's a quick look at the Samsung Gamepad Specs:-

samsung-smartphone-gamepad

Compatibility: Android OS 4.1 more (Optimised for Samsung devices with Android 4.3 more)
Connectivity: Bluetooth® v3.0, NFC(Samsung devices with Android 4.3 more) 3.0 class 2, HID
Control Keys:

- D-Pad (8 way)
- 2 Analog Sticks
- 4 Action buttons and 2 Trigger buttons
- Select button and Start button
- PLAY button (Samsung devices with Android 4.3 more)

Dimension: 137.78 x 86.47 x 31.80mm, 195g
Battery: Rechargeable 160mA
Color: Black

Note that the Gamepad will still rely on the CPU and GPU of the phone or tablet you're playing your game on.

The NVIDIA shiled on the other hand has everything under its own control. Here's a quick look at the specs:

Processor NVIDIA Tegra 4 Quad Core Mobile Processor with 2GB RAM
Display 5 inch 1280x720 (294 ppi) Multi-Touch Retinal Quality Display
Audio Integrated Stereo Speakers with Built-in Microphone
Storage 16GB Flash Memory
Color: Custom Armor Color Silver
Wireless 802.11n 2x2 Mimo 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 3.0
GPS
Connectivity
Mini-HDMI output
Micro-USB 2.0
Battery
28.8 Watt Hours
Weight & Size 579 grams
158mm (w) x 135mm (D) x 57mm (H)
Operating System
Android Jelly Bean OS

Looking at the specs, it looks like NVIDIA obviously scores more over most of the compatible Galaxy devices. The Tegra 4 processor definitely will offer an upper hand over several devices.

Which one makes more sense: NVIDIA shield is powerful; but not as flexible as what Gamepad. If you're a gaming fanatic - NVIDIA Shield is the most obvious choice. However, if you want physical controls to your existing galaxy device - Samsung Gamepad is designed to do that. The choice is yours.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What is the price of gamepad ?
    It would be nice to select between them.I would go for gamepad as its a addon for smartphone.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would prefer OUYA over Gamepad & SHIELD, because it's easy to unlock.Also, warranty doesn't void if you unlock it. Best feature by OUYA!

But, if we talk more than just android gaming, then my vote goes for nVidia SHIELD. Because : GameStream - Streaming games from PC to your SHIELD, that's just overkill! But to enjoy that overkill feature you'll need solid gaming desktop with minimum of nVidia Geforce GTX 650 or better. Wireless router that can broadcast dual-band 5GHz & 2.4GHz

Well screw all these noob gaming devices, I would rather build my PC gaming console (yeah! you heard it right) using opensource Debian 7.0 based #-Link-Snipped-# .Here's the Index of /download/ .Install it in my system & enjoy the PC gaming, console like 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung's next smartphone, Galaxy S5 is expected to have an Iris Scanner. Ever since Apple announced that the iPhone will have biometric fingerprint scanner, it wasn't any wonder that Samsung...
I am happy to start this post and i wish on behalf of members to all contributing members toCE team for achieving this feat. As far as now still 285...
Mechanical engineering graduate students Apoorva Kiran and Robert MacCurdy of Cornell University have 3D printed a loudspeaker. While most 3D printing projects involve printing just the outer shell and assembling...
Rumors floated earlier of Nokia developing its Android segment, and a mid-range Nokia Normandy which was announced earlier as the company's Android-powered phone was greeted with high excitement. But that...
We here at CrazyEngineers are taking our promotions seriously than ever before. With a series of launches planned for 2014, we are now looking for someone who would love to...