SAMBA SERVER ON WIFI ...

A very GUD mourning to all the engineers

As iam dealing with my major project , i have been allotted with the topic SAMBA SERVER. My idea is to establish SAMBA server on my college's WIFI network and i want all the files and data to be accessed by phones(consisting of OS android, Symbian,windows) and any other device enabled with WIFI , is it possible to do soo? As iam a new chap or we can say beginner in Linux,iam not getting where to start with and how to start ? hope you guyzz will help me out to find the solution. thank you

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    yes its possible (or maybe not 😳 )
    But i know very little about it ... thought I will try to explain upto what i know about SAMBA.

Check if SAMBA is installed or not
    Go to terminal & type
    rpm -q samba
    If it indicates that "package is not installed" you gotta download its RPM package, its available in RH disk and/or you can even download it from Samba - opening windows to a wider world
    Once u download the RPM package, it installation time. Browse to where Samba is downloaded & perform
    rpm -i samba.rpm
    (you might need to replace samba.rpm with full version name of file)
    As Samba is installed now ,lets configure it:
    every configuration of samba is included in smb.conf located at /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Fresh installation will have a whole new smb.conf sample file, casual users wont need half of this sample file.
    If you want to share some folders around small LAN you better edit smb.conf as i give below:
    [indent][global]
    workgroup = Trolled
    server string = Boom my Unix
    hosts allow = 192.168.127.x
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

[Downloads]
    comment = Downloads
    path = /home/windisk/Downloads
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    read only = no

[homes]
    comment = My Home Directory
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    read only = no

[printers]
    path = /var/spool/samba
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    printable = yes
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    read only = no
    [/indent]
    Choose yes/no as per ur choice.

I dont know how to setup samba users;
    hope someone here helps you out, else i will ask my friend ... will learn it & will get on u asap
    sorry for partial info.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Setting up samba users:

we need to create smbpasswd file that we mentioned in smb.conf file
    Easy method is to create it based on ur existing /etc/passwd file
    [indent]cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    [/indent]
    Chmod 600 the file (/etc/samba/smbpasswd) so only root has R/W authority.
    Well, file copies over Linux users and not over their passwords
    so follow the below command to set each samba user password
    [indent]smbpasswd Troll_so_hard
    [/indent]
    Obviously change the username with your user's username. You will be prompted for password.
    Well I always select password same as my "root" .. Just to ease out things(I hate remembering passwords)
    Ofcourse its not necessary.

Samba runs in background alike LinDaemon
    Control it by typing
    [indent]service smb start
    service smb stop
    service smb restart
    [/indent]
    Note : Once computer is shutdown & restarted Samba wont execute automatically.
    Xwindows serviceconf can be used to execute all program automatically

Testing :
    connecting to localhost
    [indent]smbclient //localhost/Downloads
    [/indent]
    you have to specify name of computer & resource you wanna share.
    in smb.conf file we have specified /home/windisk/Downloads .
    Hence here I will be using downloads resource.

Its all set up now !

If you wish you can go on Windows machine .Opening network places & browsing the workgroup your linux machine will be listed. If you want to access it you will be asked for username & password, u can enter any samba users you previously created, Log in & you can see all available resources.

Good luck ! 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am S.Chandrasekar B.Tech IT 2012 fresher looking for a job in chennai.I am looking for job and meanwhile learn and strengthen my skills
Since its launch timeline has not been able to garner popularity as many of the 950 million users still stick to their old profile page as they were not comfortable...
First of all i could like to thank whole CE team for their contribution in making this site so much easier, knowledgeable, encouraging and helpful for engineers. Actually i was...
hello every one.I am the final year student of b.tech in computer science stream . I learned programming languages like c,java,php,c# and technologies jsp and asp.net. I want to be...
Hey guys, Didn't saw anyone discussing gaming at all? Is everyone just digging the books? Discuss about the games you played, upcoming releases, your views, gaming hardware here. Recent games...