CrazyEngineers
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer

MemberNov 22, 2011

Salt Water Pumps

Hello to the great minds at CE.
    I work alot with pumps. How would a stainless steel impeller or shaft stand up in salt water conditions?
    I have soem idea but feel free to tell me what you know.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberNov 23, 2011

CE Designer
    Hello to the great minds at CE.
    I work alot with pumps. How would a stainless steel impeller or shaft stand up in salt water conditions?
    More info needed. Salt concentration, temperature and whether the fluid is static for long. Also the grade of SS used. Coorosion depends a lot on operating conditions. Generally for sea water at temperatures below 50C and continuously flowing (satuarated with dissolved air) 306 SS should work without problem.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberNov 23, 2011

CE Designer
    Hello to the great minds at CE.<br>
    I work alot with pumps. How would a stainless steel impeller or shaft stand up in salt water conditions?<br>
    <br>More info needed. Salt concentration, temperature and whether the fluid is static for long. Also the grade of SS used. Coorosion depends a lot on operating conditions. Generally for sea &nbsp;water at temperatures below 50C and continuously flowing (satuarated with dissolved air) 316 SS should work without problem.
    Cancel
  • ISHAN TOPRE

MemberNov 23, 2011

You see, stainless steel has 16% chromium. So it is well guarded against salinity. These pumps are widely used in many places. What is the idea behind you asking this query?
    Cancel
  • CE Designer

MemberNov 29, 2011

Just exploring possibilities. Currently we use SS for the shaft only, just trying to figure out, lets say how a SS impeller will perform in salt water. I cant say what temperatures but they run between 1200-1800 RPM. Sandy environment.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register