Salt Water Pumps

Hello to the great minds at CE.
I work alot with pumps. How would a stainless steel impeller or shaft stand up in salt water conditions?
I have soem idea but feel free to tell me what you know.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    I work alot with pumps. How would a stainless steel impeller or shaft stand up in salt water conditions?
    More info needed. Salt concentration, temperature and whether the fluid is static for long. Also the grade of SS used. Coorosion depends a lot on operating conditions. Generally for sea water at temperatures below 50C and continuously flowing (satuarated with dissolved air) 306 SS should work without problem.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer

More info needed. Salt concentration, temperature and whether the fluid is static for long. Also the grade of SS used. Coorosion depends a lot on operating conditions. Generally for sea  water at temperatures below 50C and continuously flowing (satuarated with dissolved air) 316 SS should work without problem.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    You see, stainless steel has 16% chromium. So it is well guarded against salinity. These pumps are widely used in many places. What is the idea behind you asking this query?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Just exploring possibilities. Currently we use SS for the shaft only, just trying to figure out, lets say how a SS impeller will perform in salt water. I cant say what temperatures but they run between 1200-1800 RPM. Sandy environment.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi frnz...i'm a new biotech engineer... willing to lead my life with some innovation.😀
Here is another surprise question of the CE Grand Quiz Contest - [Worth 10 CE Coins] Early morning a team of girls left from the east bank of the river...
Hello Friends, Yesterday I got offer letter from Accenture. And in the information it is written that they will conduct 2 phase training. First Phase will be conducted on December...
hai folks. i'm having a real tough time trying to type this down here. it must be because i'm just starting to use a touchphone (this one belongs to my...
Hey all, I am a freshman honors student at Arizona State University with a current declared major of Biomedical Engineering with a minor in Physics. 😁 Looking for networking of...