Salary Negotiation Tips

Let's compile the best salary negotiation tips. Will come handy when you are negotiating your salary with your new employers.

Here's my tip:

Never disclose how much you expect from the company. Let them give you the figures first.

This is how this works:

Recruiter: Give me a minimum figure which you will accept. That would get us further into the discussion.

You: Umm... My current salary is at so I'd want 30% rise.

Recruiter: ๐Ÿ˜ {thinks, got this dumbo for real cheap}
You as experienced negotiator:

Recruiter: Give me a minimum figure which you will accept. That would get us further into the discussion.

You: Well, I'm not really aware of the job and responsibilities. Could you tell me more about the job < blah blah >

Recruiter: Yeah, sure. < blah blah > . Now give me the number which you will want for the job.

You: Sure that sounds good. I'm really not sure how much to say. I'll have to compare the role with what other companies are offering to me. Wouldn't it be nice if you could come up with an estimate/breakup of salary you can offer for the role?

Recruiter: [Duh!] - Ok, I'll talk with my boss and get back to you. ๐Ÿ˜

Works, try it. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• callyD
    callyD
    Agree with you... Do let the employer make the first salary offer ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is correct!!!

Thanks biggie for this , I will try it out in my next change probably after 8 months to 1 year!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tip #2:

If you have an offer from another company then your new recruiter will try hard to know how much they have offered to you. If you tell them that they offered you XYZ bucks/year; be assured that the new recruiter will offer you few just thousand bucks more - and the negotiation will end there!

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER disclose how much the other company has offered to you! Always have the first figure from the recruiter ๐Ÿ˜€.

If you are ever negotiating with an employer and talking about your other offer without disclosing the numbers, always talk about the special 'role' they have offered to you and other perks you'll enjoy if you go with them. ๐Ÿ˜€

This comes from my own experience. I later figured out that the company I finally joined could have offered me MUCH MORE (yeah!) than what I settled with ๐Ÿ˜” .

Don't do the mistake I did.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This tip is just awesome ๐Ÿ˜€

But there will be a case where one company offers x/annum and the second one even if we dont disclose the number offers x - few thousand !!

Then if we are more interested in the second one the job role etc etc we get the same x here also.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Check this link its almost the same topic but different tips.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Superb tips going on here..!

Thank you guys...!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    What about a fresher?
    Can we say "as per your company norms" ?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Remember, in all negotiations there are clearly three zones -
    1. the zone where you clearly win
    2. the zone where you clearly lose
    3. the middle zone (mutually agreeable zone)

When you get the salary figure the company is quoting you, that's just inside the 3rd zone. There almost always is room for a bit more of negotiation (citing more experience, citing other opportunities for freshers, etc). If you think you can get away with it, try understanding the exact limits of this zone.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    sahithi pallavi
    What about a fresher?
    Can we say "as per your company norms" ?
    For freshers, the companies generally fix the salary and the designation. There is never the salary talk with freshers.... This is what I have noticed while working with the Training and Placement Cell of my college.. Please correct me if I am wrong.

@Admin: Superb tips..
  • bhargava.megha
    bhargava.megha
    @ above
    you are right ,for fresher's recruitment process they have already declared their salary package during training period & after training .Also announce the posts for recruitment
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Yeah usually they have a fixed pay scale while doing mass recruitment in college. Nevertheless great tips but how should be aware of what is generally the market scale for a particular position in the company. Or does it vary from company- to company?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    shreyasm89
    how should be aware of what is generally the market scale for a particular position in the company. Or does it vary from company- to company?
    Most of the companies have a particular band of salary ranges for a particular position (based on years of exp).
    For example a company may offer 6.5 to 9 LPA for 4 year experienced (A Extreme good company)
    So almost 99 percent you will be offered in the range, they will never cross the range. But the point should be noted is all your negotiating tips will give you good package in given band.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Recently I got a mail about job openings and in that mail they have given a fixed format and they are expecting me to write expected salary in mail only.So can anyone help how to go about that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    komputergeek
    Recently I got a mail about job openings and in that mail they have given a fixed format and they are expecting me to write expected salary in mail only.So can anyone help how to go about that?
    Is it from the recruiting company or the middlemen? I'd leave it blank and directly call up the HR folks.

The HRs are getting smarter these days, you see.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    The_Big_K
    Is it from the recruiting company or the middlemen? I'd leave it blank and directly call up the HR folks.

The HRs are getting smarter these days, you see.
    It is from recruiting company itself.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of you might have seen 2012 movie by now. Can someone post a review for the rest of us? ๐Ÿ˜€
hi i have a problem in opening the powerpoint 97 file..i have installed power point 2007 in my system.i cant even able to convert that ppt to pdf file..can anybody...
Want to be a part of a path-breaking venture? Are you looking for an internship which would provide you with an enriching experience? Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2010 plays host to...
Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur presents Envision 2009. Envision is a product design competition which caters to those visionaries who have it in them to impact our present, and revolutionize our...
Hi , we have a project in hand , based on Mechanical cumm electrical Wheelchair. We are making use of PLC for Signal Conditioning to the Sensor. i need a...