Salary Cut Or LayOff - Choose One

Imagine yourself as an employee of a company that is looking at various options to cut the operating costs. Let's assume that the company has about 20,000 employees on its roll.

The management decides to give its employees a choice: -

1. Every employee takes a cut in his/her salary: 30% flat.
2. Layoff 10% of the employees.

A mailer is circulated and employees are asked to vote. Which option would you choose? Why?

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Any other day I would have chosen a lay-off. But given the current economic situation, I think salary cut is a better option. After all, there are no jobs available else where. Where will the employees go?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    But I think 30% is a bit too much. I know companies here who have announced salary cuts of about 7-10%
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    If I will be given a voting option, no doubt I will go for option 1 whether I am in layoff category or not. No use of getting salary after making so many people jobless(including needy also).

If I will be asked for better cost cutting option, I will say them to do layoffs for ONLY those employees who are disturbances for other employees and really can't do any work.Then depending on their percentage, reduce the percentage cut for rest of employees. 😀
  • Neha
    Neha
    Due to the global meltdown, there aren't much oppurtunities left for one if we go for lay-off. So its better to earn some experience and a little money rather than to sit idle and do nothing.

So, my vote: option 1!
  • gohm
    gohm
    I'd vote for #1 and immediately secure other employment as 30% is way too much and not able to maintain standard of living.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let me get started - 1. College: VNIT [Nagpur, India] Annual Event: AAROHI 2. College: RKNEC [Nagpur, India] Annual Event: Pratishruti [PS: I don't know the English equivalents of the...
hi everyone, I am looking for data warehousing tools, will you please help me from where i learn these tools, the tools can be of infomatica, cognos.....etc...........
i want to know how sudoku are being generated? plz reply..need it soon..
what is the element used in roads for signalling which is red colour and glows in night like radium?
I am doing my final year computer science engineering..I ve been instructed to do a project based on fuzzy logic or neural networks domain..At present, i have one title MULTIVIEW...