Safety precaution in drivers

What are the necessary precautions to be taken when using a DC drive of above 100 V supply

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The driving system itself has protective features to run DC motors safely.

However,If you are asking for precautions to run a DC motor.
    Then in case of DC series motors ,they should be never started unloaded.
    Dc series motor have very high starting torque at start.So if started without load they take a very high speed resulting in high mechanical stresses on the parts of motor.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I meant while designing a DC driver
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Well for designing lots of calculations required.
    What you actually want to do ? Like just safe starting or a complete run time protection with speed regulation.
    Start down to top that is from motor to source.

The most important point and the reason at least starters are requires is : At stand still DC motor emf is zero and coil resistance is also low.Applying rated voltage at start will burn the coils.

You can add feature to reverse motor rotation.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah that I know listen these are my specifications

OP V=100V
    Current =25 A
    And there is an excellent starter connected to the Motor so there is no problem in the motor side do post any special care like insullation and stuff are required for it
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    I don' t think any extra insulation is required.Just ensure ,the wires are able to carry the current which will be drawn by motor.
    Well if starter is there , for what purpose you want driving system?
    I mean, what extra feature you want to add?
    As far as protection is concerned starters also have mechanism to disconnect motor in case of short circuit.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    thanks pal got the design ready and working fine
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    great... All the best

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey i am not new here. My name is Mohit kumar singh I am from nalanda(Bihar). I have some good time on CE. But due to some reason i am...
How to find all the thread titles of threads started by the user Is there any segment where we can see the thread titles alone I know we can check...
hello friend's Really it's nice to see that one of your friend comment on your post and automatically a red color notification will displayed on the header. . After concentrating...
Confused what to learn.Check out the link to learn most used and emerging technologies. https://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
my dear friends i need a help whenever i visit my netlab there is only one computer on which whenever i open youtube videos there appears an option for downloading...