Safari Vs. Chrome Vs. Firefox - Memory & Battery Consumption

I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome has forked Webkit to create Blink).

The difference is quite noticeable on laptops running on sole battery power. You can perform a quick test by loading your favorite sites in about 5-10 tabs on each of these browsers and then tracking memory utilisation and battery consumption as well.

Is anyone on CE aware of the technical reasons why these browsers consume resources differently?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I have experienced a lot of this in my laptop. Opening a lot of tabs in Chrome created to much load on the RAM, That the system crashed too often. I guess Chrome ships all the plugins it needs inside it and when each tab is opened the plugins gets allocated for each and every tab individually resulting in too much load
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome has forked Webkit to create Blink).

The difference is quite noticeable on laptops running on sole battery power. You can perform a quick test by loading your favorite sites in about 5-10 tabs on each of these browsers and then tracking memory utilisation and battery consumption as well.

Is anyone on CE aware of the technical reasons why these browsers consume resources differently?
    One reason which causes this difference, is the way in which these browsers handle their tabs and plugins, for example:
    Chrome creates a different process for each new tab whereas Firefox uses threads to handle this task.
    So chrome requires more memory as compared to Firefox for higher no of tabs, but it makes Chrome less vulnerable to crashes etc.
    Hope it helps!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would like to ask couple of questions here :
    1) Why Chromium creates large amount of cache compared to Firefox ?
    I use Firefox more than Chromium & still it has no cache, while Chromium have 400MB of cache.
    Screenshot from 2013-11-18 20:34:13
    2) Where is this cache is located ? I tried searching, couldn't find it. Any idea ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just spotted this new super car from Nissan and it looks to have arrived from future. Check Nissan BladeGlider on display at the Tokyo Motor Show -
Following the leads by Airtel & Reliance Jio, Aircel could be the next mobile network operator in India to launch 4G services. The operator is currently testing the network in...
Repeaters are basically regenerators of input signals.It is used in DCOM system to maintain it's stock amplitude which reduces due to attenuation when long distance from source to destination is...
Superbike fanatics - here's an interesting superbike shootout. Check out this video that talks about the top production superbikes down to what 'really' matters. All up for the discussions, folks!
It has now become officially true that a new tablet from Samsung, the South Korean giant, would be hitting the markets as early as 2014. Spotted passing through FCC Bluetooth...