CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 10 Nov, 2013
I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome has forked Webkit to create Blink).

The difference is quite noticeable on laptops running on sole battery power. You can perform a quick test by loading your favorite sites in about 5-10 tabs on each of these browsers and then tracking memory utilisation and battery consumption as well.

Is anyone on CE aware of the technical reasons why these browsers consume resources differently?
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 11 Nov, 2013 • 1 like I have experienced a lot of this in my laptop. Opening a lot of tabs in Chrome created to much load on the RAM, That the system crashed too often. I guess Chrome ships all the plugins it needs inside it and when each tab is opened the plugins gets allocated for each and every tab individually resulting in too much load
@rahul69 • 15 Nov, 2013 • 2 likes
Kaustubh Katdare
I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome has forked Webkit to create Blink).

The difference is quite noticeable on laptops running on sole battery power. You can perform a quick test by loading your favorite sites in about 5-10 tabs on each of these browsers and then tracking memory utilisation and battery consumption as well.

Is anyone on CE aware of the technical reasons why these browsers consume resources differently?
One reason which causes this difference, is the way in which these browsers handle their tabs and plugins, for example:
Chrome creates a different process for each new tab whereas Firefox uses threads to handle this task.
So chrome requires more memory as compared to Firefox for higher no of tabs, but it makes Chrome less vulnerable to crashes etc.
Hope it helps!
@Abhishek Rawal • 18 Nov, 2013 • 1 like I would like to ask couple of questions here :
1) Why Chromium creates large amount of cache compared to Firefox ?
I use Firefox more than Chromium & still it has no cache, while Chromium have 400MB of cache.
Screenshot from 2013-11-18 20:34:13
2) Where is this cache is located ? I tried searching, couldn't find it. Any idea ?
3.5k views

Related Posts

@zaveri · Jan 2, 2013

hey guys does anyone here know what type of motors are used in sewing machines and the maximum torque that they deliver.(just an approximate value). Besides this does anyone know...
16k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Oct 9, 2017

Born in a middle class, conservative, South Indian family in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Chitra Ramaswamy always found her education and academics at the center-stage throughout her growing up years. Her father's...
4.3k views

@viswasknit · Aug 12, 2009

hiiiiiiii any one tell me, how can i develop a multilingual web application with JSP/SERVLET.Please answer me as soon as possible.......😁 viswas kumar email id
4.2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 13, 2013

Hyundai Motor India Limited, the company that was recently in news for the launch of Hyundai Grand i10 is back at headlines to celebrate its 15th anniversary. With the launch...
4.1k views

@Gowshi · Jan 26, 2012

Hi People.. I am UK based student studying BSc Business Information Systems, and in my Final year. I am looking for a interesting project, any Idea's?? I like some of...
3.9k views