Russia Wants Its Own RSS : Russian Space Station

Russian President Putin wants to build RSS: 'Russian Space Station'. Calling it an 'economic necessity', Putin said that in the longer term, the Russian Space Station is going to be necessary to improve their economy and he's not satisfied with Russia's participation in the the International Space Station (ISS) program. One of the reasons Putin cited in favor of RSS was that they will be able to see all of Russia from it; and from ISS only 5% of Russia is visible.

Russia's space station is expected to be actively used for science experiments and it will be fully under their control. Putin also expressed confidence that the new space station will be ready by 2023 and the respective teams have already had talks with NASA officials. NASA however, has not commented officially on any such plan. United States and Russia have been the top financial supporters of the ISS program since its launch in 1998. Russia earlier operated a low Earth orbit space station 'Mir' between 1986 - 1996 which mostly served as microgravity research laboratory.

Mir_from_STS-81
Mir - Russian Space Station​

It's also expected that the Chinese will also have their own CSS (Chinese Space Station) ready by 2023 in order to establish themselves as superpowers in space. Russia is already constructing Vostochny Consmodrome (Eastern Spaceport) - expected to be ready by 2018 to reduce Russia's dependence on Baikonur Cormodrome in Kazakhstan.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    For a country suffering from serious credit crunch the decision of launching its own space station seems quite ballsy. They have also recently announced the proposal of a Superhighway that shall connect New York and London, the long way round, 12,910 miles or 20776kms. If someone is bold enough to take that risk, it’s the Russians.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I can't agree more #-Link-Snipped-# ; There is no other country that has the equivalent risk taking capacity.

However, for a moment look at the other aspect of it, #RSS will allow them save money on all the space research fund they are spending on ISS. Not to forget Putin is eyeing this move as Russian economy bolstering move (Along with better coverage of Russia from space station).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I am ECE engineer, currently working with MNC as softwre testing domain(happy for it 👍). I have 1 year experience in embedded development as well.. I just wwanted to...
Most homegrown brands are facing a tough time with Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Lenovo sweeping the entire market with their heavily loaded Android smartphones offered at extremely cheap prices....
phpStorm is my favorite IDE on Mac OSX. I was trying to port color settings from TextMate using the TextMate Bundles importer and in the process totally messed up my...
Hi I joined as a associate software programer in a product based company they are providing training on visual webicefaces framework can anybody tell me where can i find tutorials...
After repeated failed attempts of making waves in the Indian economical bike segment, Yamaha Motor Company in India is back again with a new 125cc segment bike named 'Yamaha Saluto'...