Rugby High School Girls Bag the National Engineering Prize

MECHANICALLY-MINDED girls at Rugby High School have proved themselves top of the class after scooping a top national engineering prize.

Bethan Dobson, Georgina Flower, Sarah Parsons, and Charlotte Porter, who are all studying for their A levels, won the Royal Academy of Engineering Prize at the Big Bang Fair, the UK’s biggest celebration of science and engineering. They won for demonstrating the best application of engineering principles in the National Science & Engineering Competition.
The girls’ project saw them undertake a detailed research study for Rugby-based international engineering firm Alstom, which employs almost 1,000 people in the town and works closely with Rugby High School.

As part of the students’ work, they used a scale model to identify a calibration system to assess running tip clearance in steam turbine blades used to make electricity in power stations, creating computer software to analyse the results. The challenge given to the girls was similar to work undertaken by teams at Alstom at their steam turbine facility.
The engineering foursome fought off stiff competition from 155 other entries to be awarded £500 and a special experience prize provided by Expedition Engineering, the designers of landmark structures such as the London 2012 Olympic Velodrome.

They received their prize from celebrity physicist Professor Brian Cox at a ceremony in London.

Charlotte said: “Alstom gave us this challenge as the school has an ongoing link with them. We all loved doing this project which wasn’t part of the school curriculum; we did it in our own time.”

Sarah added: “Engineering is such a male dominated area. When I did work experience I was the only female in the office but why should we be stereotyped? We have proved that women can contribute a lot to engineering and it’s good to have a mix of genders.”
Lord Browne of Madingley, President of the Royal Academy of Engineering was full of praise for the girls' work.

He said: "What they have achieved is not just a school project but a highly-professional piece of engineering research which has the potential to make a difference in the real world.

“It’s wonderful to witness such enthusiasm, dedication and talent from four young women. It has reinforced my optimism about the future of science and engineering in the UK.”
Helena Austin, Human Resources Director at Alstom UK also congratulated the girls on their success.
She added: “It’s so encouraging to see young people with such passion and aptitude for science and engineering, and these four students clearly have a bright future ahead of them."

News Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is good to know about these girls. Specially they faced a stiff competition but still they won. Hats off to Bethan Dobson, Georgina Flower, Sarah Parsons, and Charlotte Porter.
    Good to know about it. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ICoAC is an international conference organized by department of computer science and engineering to bring all the researchers and academicians together to discuss about the recent developments and researches in...
Guys, this is something i could know about drag cup type induction motors. If you know any additional thing, please share - Whenever we talk of induction motors, invariably, we...
Is any body aware of any nice Rapid Applcation Development tool for php like in case of commercial tools like vb.net, delphi etc, so as to reduce application development time...
What are the conditions of CMP instruction? if its "CMP B" what flag is set at the A>B? what flag is set at the A=B? what flag is set at...
why I-sections are commonly used.