Rotation of Crankshaft

Why!! Why!! Why the crankshaft does not rotate in ccw direction? Can it be rotated in ccw direction? How?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Whenever normal right hand threaded parts are involved, rotation is in the direction that will tighten the screw as otherwise some thing may get unscrewed often with hazardous consequences.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    Whenever normal right hand threaded parts are involved, rotation is in the direction that will tighten the screw as otherwise some thing may get unscrewed often with hazardous consequences.
    what screws are you talking about. i dont think there any threaded joints in the crankshaft.
  • roon.mech
    roon.mech
    gowthamanbu
    Why!! Why!! Why the crankshaft does not rotate in ccw direction? Can it be rotated in ccw direction? How?
    if you wish to switch the direction of rotation for a crankshaft with equal firing angles, you will need to re-adjust its cam timing. there are probably a lot of other things that go with it as well.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    i dont think there any threaded joints in the crankshaft.
    Not in the crank shaft. Any right threaded connection in the drive train will see the engine torque. Such a connection can work loose.
    However, many of these are by convention. The first one starts that way and others blindly follow suit.
  • Saugata
    Saugata
    One of the reason is, when you start an engine the motor rotates the flywheel in a particular direction; generally clockwise direction and after gaining the momentum in that particular direction it continues to retain its state of motion as the engine starts.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    I think crankshaft is connected to cam and cam is connected to vehicle tyres.If the crankshaft rotates in ccw direction then cam and vehicle tyres also rotates in ccw direction.If it is wrong correct me....
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    N.SACHIN
    I think crankshaft is connected to cam and cam is connected to vehicle tyres.If the crankshaft rotates in ccw direction then cam and vehicle tyres also rotates in ccw direction.If it is wrong correct me....
    the crankshaft is connected to the vehicle tyres via the flywheel, clutch, gearbox, propeller shaft, and differential.

The camshaft is a component of the engine, and it is used for actuating the valves. it is driven by the crankshaft too.
  • mechky
    mechky
    Saugata
    One of the reason is, when you start an engine the motor rotates the flywheel in a particular direction; generally clockwise direction and after gaining the momentum in that particular direction it continues to retain its state of motion as the engine starts.
    What does that has to do with it? What if we start the engine with crankshaft rotating in ccw direction? The flywheel will also rotate in ccw direction and won't cause any problem.
    Here we are not talking about changing the crank rotation while the engine is running.

ramani sir's explanation is the only correct answer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have prepared documentation of my mini project 'RFID based automatic vehicle parking system'.i have gathered information from many sources.it would be helpful for others.
want to do industrial training in thermal power plant in nagpur,so plz tell me how can i apply for course??
Here is a situation for mechanical engineers to solve. Rack your brains to showcase your engineering talent! You are traveling with your girlfriend (Boyfriend if you are female) to some...
i am an electronics and biomedical engineering student....😀
Server is a physical component or server is a software program in client server architecture?