Rooting Android Phone

Hey everyone.
I own Sony Ericsson Ray (ST18i) with android version 4.0.4. Earlier it was android version 2.0 which I upgraded to the version 4. Due to it, my phone is now working damn slow. Someone suggested to root my phone in order to get the speed back.
Now I don't get what it means. Need your help. I've never rooted any phone and this topic is new to me. Please help me the details.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Rooting device doesn't speeds up the processor. You can root device & remove the bloats which can have minor effect on speed. (Keyword : Minor)
    However, there are few custom kernels that are available with tweaks, custom I/O schedulers & Governors to improve performance. Also, Flashing third party scripts available in XDA can optimize your device.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thank you, Abhishek. Will you please let me know where can I find tutorials for the methods suggested by you. Aslo what will be best option as per you?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Deepika Bansal
    Will you please let me know where can I find tutorials for the methods suggested by you.
    Sure.
    I searched & found for your device's development forum : #-Link-Snipped-#

Deepika Bansal
    Aslo what will be best option as per you?
    Root it ! Screw warranty. 😁
    I saw few Custom ROMS in XDA Developers forum for your device. You should really try them, especially AOSP one : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Also try custom kernels & settle for what suits you best.

Note :
    - Gather all the information regarding rooting & flashing ROMS/Kernels for your device.
    - One mistake can soft-brick or even hard-brick your device, but risk is worthy - trust me on that.
    - Please ask question to the developers in xda if you're having trouble finding tools & tutorials for rooting device & flashing Custom ROM and Kernel. They're very friendly.

Cheers.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thanks buddy. Your words really encouraged to try rooting my phone. Ive already started reading relative stuff.
    I also came to know about the link2sd app. So I will be trying this android application m before rooting my phone.
    I will definitely let you know the results.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thanks buddy. Your words really encouraged to try rooting my phone. Ive already started reading relative stuff.
    I also came to know about the link2sd app. So I will be trying this android application m before rooting my phone.
    I will definitely let you know the results.
    Glad I can help you.
    By the way, I would like to mention that Link2SD application will require root privilege in order to link the apps πŸ˜€
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Yeah. I found that when I tried moving my apps to my SD card. So time to root. wish me luck. πŸ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Deepika Bansal
    Yeah. I found that when I tried moving my apps to my SD card. So time to root. wish me luck. πŸ˜€
    Be careful for first time. Best way is to jot down steps on one paper & then perform it.
    Anyway it is not rocket science πŸ˜›
    Good luck πŸ‘
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thanks a million. I'll revert you sooner.
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    A piece of advice: Don't overclock your phone's processing speed...
    And if you want to increase it... At max 200 MHz.

I've ruined my phone due to high clock speed... Sony Ericsson Xperia neo v.
    I changed it's speed from 1GHz to 1.6Ghz
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Aditya Deshmukh
    A piece of advice: Don't overclock your phone's processing speed...
    And if you want to increase it... At max 200 MHz.

I've ruined my phone due to high clock speed... Sony Ericsson Xperia neo v.
    I changed it's speed from 1GHz to 1.6Ghz
    I too have done that from 832 MHz to 1.248 GHz: #-Link-Snipped-#
    I can maintain OC'ed x86_64 Processor, but OC'ed ARM Processor - that is quite risky.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #-Link-Snipped-# Rooted your device ?
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Thank yoiu friend. I'll take care of it. Infact, I would like to hear the experiences from other fellow ceans so that I don't end up bricking my phone.

#-Link-Snipped-#: not yet. I'm still reading the stuff and knowing the concepts and procedure. Right now I've downloaded the PAC Rom for my phone (release version of 'urushi').
    Now my query is that if I follow the process of flashing this custom rom, will rooting be done automatically or I first need to root my phone and then flash the custom rom.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Thank yoiu friend. I'll take care of it. Infact, I would like to hear the experiences from other fellow ceans so that I don't end up bricking my phone.

#-Link-Snipped-#: not yet. I'm still reading the stuff and knowing the concepts and procedure. Right now I've downloaded the PAC Rom for my phone (release version of 'urushi').
    Now my query is that if I follow the process of flashing this custom rom, will rooting be done automatically or I first need to root my phone and then flash the custom rom.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Hurray. I've finally rooted my phone using 'eroot' rooting kit. I'm not pretty sure of what it has done and what all changes it has brought to my phone's software. But that was quite simple; I mean few clicks and wola! It would have been much better if I've would have able to go in some details. I'll definitely going to study it.

Next step is flashing PACROM. Fingers crossed again.

Fellow ceans, your words are important for me and my phone.

I'm very excited.
    Thanks to all those who helped me.
    I'll come back to you soon after flashing the PACROM.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# You've simply gained root access, which means that now you can change anything in the core files.
    Waiting for your successful flashing of PAC-ROM. Do upload the pics of new ROM in your device here : Show-Off Your Custom ROMS

BTW, It is better to take backup using ClockWorkMod (CWM) before flashing Custom ROM. It can be life- saving, while flashing ROM you might soft-brick your device. In that case, you can restore the backup.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Android users, here is a piece of good news for you. A special USB drive will make your task of moving files from phones or tablets to PC easier. Leef’s...
Similar to the iOS Store app, the Google Play Store will now ask you to provide with a password every time you make a purchase. Earlier, passwords were required only...
Earlier this year, at the Mobile World Congress WhatsApp had announced it will soon launch VoIP calls, shortly after Facebook bought the company for $19 billion and looks like the...
Another luxury vehicle is now waiting for Indian customers! German car manufacturing giant BMW unveiled its 3 Series Gran Turismo recently in a BMW exclusive dealership KUN Exclusive in Chennai....
RachelQ submitted a new project: Clickdrive - The world's first Open Platform for driving apps Clickdrive's vision Clickdrive is a new kind of device for Connected Cars that allows you...