CrazyEngineers
  • Hello,
    I need some enlightenment on this question that am not clearly able to think about in the last few hours so. I believe someone here can help me discussing this-

When an airplane takes-off , there is this lift force(generated by maintaining an angle of attack and certain velocity and hence generating it through Bernoulli's principle) which plays a key role. The fact pestering me here is when the company deisgns an airplane, lets say a 8-wheeler or a 16 or 32 or whatever it is (excluding the nose landing one), Do they consider the rolling friction caused by these as it gains some speed and hence its effect on the velocity and force required for lift?

I am sure that this happens. Well, so could someone help me with an FBD on how it would look with these forces considered. What is the Frictional force made up of in this case ? just a vector going in the opposite direction or something more ?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberOct 13, 2013

Any wheel friction will only mean that more fuel is used to attain take off velocity at the prevalent conditions of altitude, temperature, air density and prevalent wind conditions. The take of velocity with reference to outside air will not change. Ground speed can change if there is a wind.
    You can ignore wheel friction for lift calculations.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberOct 13, 2013

Friction may be explained if we consider it as Resistence . So if there is a presence of friction , there has to be more power to overcome (i.e If a plane is taking off, It should overcome the friction to attain the take off speed).It should overcome friction and reach a take off speed so that it would be a successful flight.after take off, only thing to bother is the air resistance.There are three resistance that should be noted:air resistance, road resistance(friction) and grade (elevation). So it has to overcome all these to make a successful take off.Correct me if it is wrong.
    Cancel
  • The Observer

MemberOct 13, 2013

A.V.Ramani
    Any wheel friction will only mean that more fuel is used to attain take off velocity at the prevalent conditions of altitude, temperature, air density and prevalent wind conditions. The take of velocity with reference to outside air will not change. Ground speed can change if there is a wind.
    You can ignore wheel friction for lift calculations.
    Yes. that answers it. Thanks.
    Cancel
  • The Observer

MemberOct 13, 2013

SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Friction may be explained if we consider it as Resistence . So if there is a presence of friction , there has to be more power to overcome (i.e If a plane is taking off, It should overcome the friction to attain the take off speed).It should overcome friction and reach a take off speed so that it would be a successful flight.after take off, only thing to bother is the air resistance.There are three resistance that should be noted:air resistance, road resistance(friction) and grade (elevation). So it has to overcome all these to make a successful take off.Correct me if it is wrong.
    Well, even i'm new to this. So I cant judge yet if you are right. 😀 Btw, i liked your sketches. They're good. I am a sketcher too but haven't been doing much lately.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register