Rolling friction and lift in airplanes

Hello,
I need some enlightenment on this question that am not clearly able to think about in the last few hours so. I believe someone here can help me discussing this-

When an airplane takes-off , there is this lift force(generated by maintaining an angle of attack and certain velocity and hence generating it through Bernoulli's principle) which plays a key role. The fact pestering me here is when the company deisgns an airplane, lets say a 8-wheeler or a 16 or 32 or whatever it is (excluding the nose landing one), Do they consider the rolling friction caused by these as it gains some speed and hence its effect on the velocity and force required for lift?

I am sure that this happens. Well, so could someone help me with an FBD on how it would look with these forces considered. What is the Frictional force made up of in this case ? just a vector going in the opposite direction or something more ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Any wheel friction will only mean that more fuel is used to attain take off velocity at the prevalent conditions of altitude, temperature, air density and prevalent wind conditions. The take of velocity with reference to outside air will not change. Ground speed can change if there is a wind.
    You can ignore wheel friction for lift calculations.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Friction may be explained if we consider it as Resistence . So if there is a presence of friction , there has to be more power to overcome (i.e If a plane is taking off, It should overcome the friction to attain the take off speed).It should overcome friction and reach a take off speed so that it would be a successful flight.after take off, only thing to bother is the air resistance.There are three resistance that should be noted:air resistance, road resistance(friction) and grade (elevation). So it has to overcome all these to make a successful take off.Correct me if it is wrong.
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    A.V.Ramani
    Any wheel friction will only mean that more fuel is used to attain take off velocity at the prevalent conditions of altitude, temperature, air density and prevalent wind conditions. The take of velocity with reference to outside air will not change. Ground speed can change if there is a wind.
    You can ignore wheel friction for lift calculations.
    Yes. that answers it. Thanks.
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Friction may be explained if we consider it as Resistence . So if there is a presence of friction , there has to be more power to overcome (i.e If a plane is taking off, It should overcome the friction to attain the take off speed).It should overcome friction and reach a take off speed so that it would be a successful flight.after take off, only thing to bother is the air resistance.There are three resistance that should be noted:air resistance, road resistance(friction) and grade (elevation). So it has to overcome all these to make a successful take off.Correct me if it is wrong.
    Well, even i'm new to this. So I cant judge yet if you are right. 😀 Btw, i liked your sketches. They're good. I am a sketcher too but haven't been doing much lately.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Food and Agriculture Organisation(FAO) was concluded in Rome today and India minister of state for food and public distribution said that the new food security act will not affect the...
Just read a report that Twitter is paying about $10 million to an engineer in the silicon valley to make him(or her) stay with the company. The paycheck he's being...
Expect rise in the cyber security jobs in India in coming days. Big IT companies in India - viz. TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant and others may soon begin looking for...
LG G2 has a guest mode - which when enabled lets you define what apps and sections of the phone will be accessible to the user. I think this is...
There is an English saying:'I would give my eyeteeth...' This seems to be becoming literally true with a tooth based implant that restores sight. https://www.qmed.com/news/blind-regain-sight-tooth-based-eye-implant?cid=nl.qmed01