Robots With Feelings: Is it really possible?

There’s a scene in the movie called "I, Robot" when Will Smith, who plays a robot-hating cop, visits Bridget Moynahan, the scientist, and they begin to argue. She gets angry. Her personal robot immediately walks into the room and asks: “Is everything all right, Ma’am? I detected elevated stress patterns in your voice.”

- A very common scene for a sci-fi movie.
Ever since I saw the Indian movie 'Robot', the question hovers in my mind : Robots With Feelings: Is it really possible?

If it's possible, it is the future of robotics and the future of mankind.

What are your opinions about this?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes. Robots with feelings is possible. Initially when we are at a lower technological level we feel that the things are impossible. But If you take a close look as to how all living beings 'feel' then you will notice what I am trying to say.

If I may tell you there are various liquids and chemicals inside our body which create feelings. We have a neuron network which controls our body efficiently. If we wait for 10 to 15 years we will be able to see robots working on the same principle. Now we can really create robot with feelings. 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, most things in robotics concerning humanoids is more of mimicking the way humans do something..

We modeled how our joints move when we walk and created robots which walk. Similarly, robots were made capable of speaking, understanding what we speak, even responding to our queries etc..

In the same way, I think we can also model our so called 'feelings' and make the robots have something which can be approximated to 'feelings'. In the end, it's all about mimicking ourselves I think..

But as to the details of it and when it'll be possible, I have no clue!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with what silverscorpion has said in the above post. The real question is, Is there a certain programmable code for the way our feelings are.
    I mean we react to the same situation differently the second time we face it. There is no fixed database of our complex feelings.
    Then, how will we make it possible to integrate feelings into robots?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think all programs are designed with logics here we make some logic with voice patterns and sounds
    let me explain check once anyone voice modulation is changes when the mood changes
    in difficult or angry mood maximum our modulation and pitch is at higher levels and when we are in cool mood our voice is kinda low
    i think this will help the robot to check our mood and help us
    anyway if we are scared or feared we shout a loud so automatically our voice will be increased to higher levels
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I don't know robots with feelings but this robot was just displayed in Hanover trade fair. This robot can fly.[video=youtube;Tx8nJRLFkY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx8nJRLFkY8&feature=player_embedded[/video]
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    I mean we react to the same situation differently the second time we face it. There is no fixed database of our complex feelings.
    Then, how will we make it possible to integrate feelings into robots?
    Only when the "I" feeling (EGO) starts the organism gets emotions and such. The human brain is supposed to have 10^18 connectivities. It is difficult to reach such a high connectivity yet with existing isolated digital 'brains'. When that happens we will have a robot that cries or tells jokes.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi stories is:The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (1966) by Arthur Heinlein. In this a computer Nicknamed Mike (after Mycroft Holmes) becomes sentient.

Asimov's Bicentennial man is a robot that gets a US citizenship.

Afraid that it is still in the realm of Sci-Fi.

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As part of our group study initiatives, here's a topic suggested by Cranky Here: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...oup-study-digital-rc-circuits.html#post153389 Discuss the topic in this thread and build up a discussion on the topic. 😀...
Norton conducted an interesting survey among Indian mobile users and fond out that about 53% users have either lost their mobile phone or have been a victim of phone theft....
I want to paint a wall in my room and want to make it look bright and creative. It would be great if all you creative souls give me some...
Few days ago ,I was giving presentation on my new website that will be a ecommerce website in my class. Then I was not able to answer some queries of...
Switch on the TV and all you get to see is ADs! 😕 Most of those ads are pathetic (made by some idiot management guys) Use this space to share...