Robot that comes when called - kits

Hello,

I know there are robots available which have sensors on them which allow them to roam around and return to their re-charging outlets - like the iRobot Roomba. I think it has sensors on it too so it can see where it's going and remember where it's been.

I'd like to make a simpler version of this where if I had a remote to call it, the robot would unplug itself and come to me and avoid furniture obstacles along the way. Does anyone know what components I need for this, or a kit, or a book with the how-to steps?

Thanks,
Bret

Replies

• Techie Earthling
    Techie Earthling
    Well The robots which can remember their path can have sensors to record their path but these sensors can be anything like a camera or IR sensors coupled with micro controller in case of a micro-mouse, You can also design your own sensors to do the same thing in a newer an innovative method while being simpler.

For remote you can make a wired one with two-way switch, or you can go with IR remote like your TV, or You can make an RF-remote like used RC toys and may more option for a remote. IN case You are Asking For simple version You can Use your "TV remote" to call it. Second you are planning for obstacle avoidance on the way. you can do it with IT-TSOP sensors coupled with a MC (8051, AVR family),So before going further you should be familiar with embedded programming and microcontroller, sensors etc.

Then you only need these components
    • Microcontroller (8051 or Atmel Atmega or any you want)
    • IR-TSOP Sensors 8-10 approx (Min-4)
    • IR-Remote or RF-remote
    • A board with power supply etc to host micro-controller (like a development board)
    • Motor Drivers etc.
    • Mechanical structure (Motors, arm structure)
  • BretMan
    BretMan
    Techie Earthling
    Well The robots which can remember their path can have sensors to record their path but these sensors can be anything like a camera or IR sensors coupled with micro controller in case of a micro-mouse, You can also design your own sensors to do the same thing in a newer an innovative method while being simpler.

For remote you can make a wired one with two-way switch, or you can go with IR remote like your TV, or You can make an RF-remote like used RC toys and may more option for a remote. IN case You are Asking For simple version You can Use your "TV remote" to call it. Second you are planning for obstacle avoidance on the way. you can do it with IT-TSOP sensors coupled with a MC (8051, AVR family),So before going further you should be familiar with embedded programming and microcontroller, sensors etc.

Then you only need these components
    • Microcontroller (8051 or Atmel Atmega or any you want)
    • IR-TSOP Sensors 8-10 approx (Min-4)
    • IR-Remote or RF-remote
    • A board with power supply etc to host micro-controller (like a development board)
    • Motor Drivers etc.
    • Mechanical structure (Motors, arm structure)
    Thanks so much TE! I was waiting forever for some help and you came through.

What I have in mind will weigh about 20lbs and may also need to go up a flight of stairs. I've seen similar robots used for fire rescue or police and military to explore things. Do I have to use tracks or will wheels do the job? How powerful a drive motor would it need? Can you recommend a supplier for those components which offer them at a low cost and would help me sort out the components I'd need?
  • Techie Earthling
    Techie Earthling
    You will be helped for sure Because CrazyEngineers is the only platform where crazy ideas are supported and helped by CEans

20lbs = 9.07185 Kg, so you will need a motor which has a torque greater than this value. you can purchase this motor from ROBOKITS india (as i usually purchase from here)
    [​IMG]

High Torque DC Geared Motor Features

• 300RPM 12V DC motors with Metal Gearbox and Metal Gears
    • 18000 RPM base motor
    • 6mm Dia shaft with M3 thread hole
    • Gearbox diameter 37 mm.
    • Motor Diameter 28.5 mm
    • Length 63 mm without shaft
    • Shaft length 15mm
    • 180gm weight
    • 30kgcm torque
    • No-load current = 800 mA, Load current = upto 7.5 A(Max)
    For the complete robot you can use 4 to 6 of these motors as per your mechanical design.
    for stair climbing you can use track or wheel or both in combination. but have a look on this robot. its mechanical design is awesome with position control it can climb stairs like anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope these information will help you ! 😀
  • BretMan
    BretMan
    Techie Earthling
    You will be helped for sure Because CrazyEngineers is the only platform where crazy ideas are supported and helped by CEans

20lbs = 9.07185 Kg, so you will need a motor which has a torque greater than this value. you can purchase this motor from ROBOKITS india (as i usually purchase from here)
    [​IMG]

High Torque DC Geared Motor Features

• 300RPM 12V DC motors with Metal Gearbox and Metal Gears
    • 18000 RPM base motor
    • 6mm Dia shaft with M3 thread hole
    • Gearbox diameter 37 mm.
    • Motor Diameter 28.5 mm
    • Length 63 mm without shaft
    • Shaft length 15mm
    • 180gm weight
    • 30kgcm torque
    • No-load current = 800 mA, Load current = upto 7.5 A(Max)
    For the complete robot you can use 4 to 6 of these motors as per your mechanical design.
    for stair climbing you can use track or wheel or both in combination. but have a look on this robot. its mechanical design is awesome with position control it can climb stairs like anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope these information will help you ! 😀

That looks like a great site. The more I buy there the less the shipping % is to the USA so I hope they have everything I will need.

One thing I'm scratching my head about still in my design, which includes a lead screw driven by an small motor, is the 1:1 coupling to it. The motor needs to be placed right next to the lead screw (side by side) and there will be a spur gear on the lead screw and another one on the motor drive shaft. It won't have a gear box holding them together. So, I think I'm going to put a roller bearing at the very end of each shaft, with their gears just before it. The roller bearing would then fit into a half round slot on the bottom first, then when both the lead screw and motor sub-assembly is put into position, a cover which will include the other half of the bearing slots will hold it all together. Do you know the name of these kinds of roller bearings and where I can find them? Alternatively, do you think there's a simpler way to couple the lead screw with the motor?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a first year student pursuing mt b-tech degree in EEE. Although out of my subject, i have a great attraction for bikes and cars, and modifying them. earlier...
A free eBook on power management is available for download here: https://eblast.eurospecifier.eu/043/index.html Quote: Free eBook Download Power 2 You: A Guide to Power Management and Control by Shyam Chandra Learn...
hello my name is i.v.prahlad and i have done my graduation from r.v.r & j.c college of engineering as a civil engineer. i want to learn few things about how...
So we've the good news finally - at least there's a company that understands that Indian English accent is a bit tougher to crack and has updated their software accordingly....
Dear all, how to design the value for smoothing and filter capacitor values for switched mode power supplies. please anyone help me out.