Robot Marge Can Read & Learn Like a Human

Marge is a robot developed by UK Scientists that can read and learn in the real world.
Her creators namely Ingmar Posner and Paul Newman at the University of Oxford, along with their collaborator Peter Corke at Queensland University of Technology, hope that Marge, and future versions of Marge, could navigate through the real world using the same words and phrases that are used by human beings.

Marge can find and correct misspelled words. She taught herself that Barclays is a bank, Strada is a restaurant, and that both are in the UK. She is even smart enough to read the New York Times and the BBC Online.

To a literate human, reading is a simple matter. If a word changes size, or the lighting in the room changes, you don't instantly become illiterate.
For a robot, a change in the angle, lighting or size means they have to learn to read all over again, said Grant.
There is still a lot of work to do before Marge's technological children, including Lisa, could live on your phone. But when they do, the bigger question will be what can't a literate robot do, rather than what can they do.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently I watched a good documentary by the British Discovery Channel about the beginnings of computer games. It covers the early 70s with the rise of Atari right up to...
I had this idiot question somewhere in the back of my mind. I think those two are somewhat different words. The Urban Dictionary defines a Geek as: The people you...
Those who are looking for mechanical engineering project ideas, here's one more you can try to build: A Hovercraft. Wikipedia Link: Hovercraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A hovercraft is...
Hi i have confusion. i am writing a C program for a quiz. i wanna know if we can give the user 2 tries to enter the answer. here is...
I've often noticed during my cardio workouts that the cycle needs external supply. I was wondering whether it would be possible to cut down the power supply and make the...