Roads made from waste plastic looks like an incredible idea

Plastic is both a boon and a bane to the mankind; but with the amount of plastic waste growing every minute the consequences could be very hazardous. There are initiatives being taken around the world to replace asphalt to build roads entirely from plastic. These roads would employ existing plastic waste gathered from various sources; including the one that's been dumped in the ocean.

I first stumbled upon this initiative in Jamshedpur (India) where Jamshedpur Utility and Services Company aka #-Link-Snipped-# built a road made using waste plastic. JUSCO is a sister company of Tata Steel and has built a ~15km road using waste plastic. The road requires no maintenance for first five years. A kilometer long road that's 4m wide saves about 50K INR!

The latest advancement comes from Netherlands company 'VolkerWessels' that's proposing to build Crazy paving: Rotterdam to consider trialling plastic roads | Netherlands | The Guardian. These roads will be able to sustain wider temperature ranges from -40 to 80 degree Celsius. The company says that its innovation allows for faster construction of the road and lesser maintenance costs.

I'm curious to hear from our fellow Civil engineers about the plastic roads, their feasibility and why aren't we already thinking in this direction for our highways?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After the success of the LG Bello which was released last year, LG has now decided to launch the second instalment of the phone. Although the exact price is yet...
sir i am m.tech with telecommunication engg. 2013 batch searching for job in pune. is it right to go for some testing course and apply for jobs in testing field.as...
Prof. Afsaneh Rabieie from the department of mechanical and aerospace engineering at the North Carolina State University has developed a light-weight yet strong metal foam that has several applications in...
The engineers at Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) are currently evaluating a Venus Orbiter Mission (VOM). ISRO Chairman, Dr. Kiran Kumar said that besides the next mission to Mars, the...
i need to buy a laptop and confused b/w two laptops: One is Lenevo g50 70: i3 4th gen 4gb ram 1TB Harddisk 2gb ATI radeon graphichs 130 Price :...