Road That Repairs Itself - Made Possible By Self-Healing Asphalt

This news isn't going to please the road maintenance contractors in India. Erik Schlangen, engineering professor at Delft University Of Technology has developed a self-healing alphalt that can be used in road construction with double the lifespan of the traditional porous variety. Typically, the porous asphalt is used in construction of roads. Such roads help reducing the noise pollution and draining water quickly the downside is that it's not very durable and potholes can appear in just a few years, leading to maintenance costs and possibilities of road accidents.

Schlangen explains that because of the numerous pores, the rate of oxidation is very high and the asphalt becomes brittle in a shorter span of time resulting into cracks. These cracks become larger over time and turn into potholes. The typical lifespan of asphalt road would be approximately 8 years before the topmost layer needs a replacement.

slide

The solution to this problem lies in using small amounts of steel wool fibers (<1% of volume) and applying induction plate to it. The steel wool heats up while meling the bitumen around it and this fills up the micro cracks.

Trials of this new type of road construction have been done on 400 meter section of road in Netherlands. Speaking on the economics of this new type of road construction, Schlangen says that it costs a bit more than traditional ways, but the cost saving is huge in the longer term. Watch the TEDxDelft speech to see Schlangen speaking and demonstrating his new self healing asphalt -

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The one we need in India seriously This can remove a lot of stains in economy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Conqueror
    The one we need in India seriously This can remove a lot of stains in economy
    Yep, technology can definitely help keep check on corruption, but I'm sure sharper Indian minds will find a work-around for it. 😉
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    Needed in Nigeria, hope Govt consider this..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    da_joker
    Needed in Nigeria, hope Govt consider this..
    That'd be useful in almost every country. Yes, developing nations can definitely benefit more.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been hearing from multiple sources that the HCL InfoTech is on the verge of laying off employees. Several 'on bench' folks have been asked to find themselves a project...
Hi Ceans!!! Anybody suggest what is the difference between FrameWork, CMS and E-Commerce sites in web development?
HELLO frns.. plz tel me the code for ASk demod. for matlab. I want it urgently.
Name: Abhijit Dey Engineering Trade: Information Technology Location: Nagpur, Mumbai Occupation: Student Work Experience: N/A Hobbies & Interests: Checking out new ways to look around the gadget world and the...
Dropbox - one of the most popular file sharing and collaboration service has acquired Mailbox - a unique email client for iPhone. Today, mailbox announced that they've been acquired by...