RFID Based Attendance System

I received this Message from Fellow CEan,

"Hi, I am in computer engineering and i am doing RFID based attendance system and i hav no idea abt micro controller can i use RFID reader and connect it to the database plzz help me ?"

So I am sharing this message so you can get some more ideas and response.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    As i told you there is no need to use Microcontroller you can directly get RFID reader which sends data to your PC's USB port or SERIAL port and from that data you can proceed.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I have done a similar application. ๐Ÿ˜€ Just an RFID Reader, a Tag and the software to automate the process would do. We tied up with HID and completed. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Praveen-Kumar
    I have done a similar application. ๐Ÿ˜€ Just an RFID Reader, a Tag and the software to automate the process would do. We tied up with HID and completed. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Can you please post the details of that RFID reader you have used? It operating on HF or UHF?
    godfather
    Can you please post the details of that RFID reader you have used? It operating on HF or UHF?
    UHF! It is the same one which uses the electromagnetic lock for the doors. The glass doors! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • manishks
    manishks
    what is rfid?????
    musicfreakmandy
    what is rfid?????
    Radio Frequency Identification
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    I went to GALA stores at Grant Road it cost something 1900rs RFID reader. Will i get cheaper than this one if yes then which stores ? else i can buy this one
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    how many bytes data does RFID reader can send to the system ? ๐Ÿ˜€ So that i could write a program in java ........and establish connectivity with database
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I wonder how they are giving at such low price rate. We used to buy UHF Class Gen2 reader. And its cost is around 25K INR, Before purchasing get the full specification of reader.

And second as you asked for data bytes that's depend on which Standard RFID you're going to use.
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    OMG! 25k hmm thanx for info...........๐Ÿ˜€
    Praveen-Kumar
    Radio Frequency Identification
    can u tell me how to read data frm serial port using java
    sidworli
    OMG! 25k hmm thanx for info...........๐Ÿ˜€
    can u tell me how to read data frm serial port using java
    Use hyperterminal! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    hey RFID has 16 digit unique number right.....so can we get that no. of our own choice ....................I am asking this because i m finding difficulty in my database .........when a student will show the rfid card to the reader it will accept the data and store it in a table but we hav 9 classes in my colg so the16 digit no. should go to that class table but it will be a slow process can any one giv me idea about the database [how do i make separate each student to individual class ? thank you
    sidworli
    hey RFID has 16 digit unique number right.....so can we get that no. of our own choice ....................I am asking this because i m finding difficulty in my database .........when a student will show the rfid card to the reader it will accept the data and store it in a table but we hav 9 classes in my colg so the16 digit no. should go to that class table but it will be a slow process can any one giv me idea about the database [how do i make separate each student to individual class ? thank you
    If you are using MySQL or Oracle, you can use joins and stuff right?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    From that 32 bytes you can write some bytes that's called Tag number. You have to use write command from reader so it'll write that Tag number into Tag memory.
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    What are the steps to connect java and MySQL. I am aware of the java code but please can any one tell me the steps (control panel > Administrator tools > Data Sources (ODBC) > and after that how to add and what to add )and further procedure .......thank you
    You don't use ODBC to connect MySQL Server. You directly give the connection URL this way:
    jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user=scott&password=tiger
    To connect to the MySQL server, register the JDBC driver you plan to use, then invoke its getConnection() method. The following short program, Connect.java, shows how to connect to and disconnect from a server running on the local host. It accesses a database named test, using a MySQL account with a user name and password of testuser and testpass:
      import java.sql.*;

public class Connect
      {
          public static void main (String[] args)
          {
              Connection conn = null;

try
              {
                  String userName = "testuser";
                  String password = "testpass";
                  String url = "jdbc:mysql://localhost/test";
                  Class.forName ("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance ();
                  conn = DriverManager.getConnection (url, userName, password);
                  System.out.println ("Database connection established");
              }
              catch (Exception e)
              {
                  System.err.println ("Cannot connect to database server");
              }
              finally
              {
                  if (conn != null)
                  {
                      try
                      {
                          conn.close ();
                          System.out.println ("Database connection terminated");
                      }
                      catch (Exception e) { /* ignore close errors */ }
                  }
              }
          }
      }
    Compile Connect.java to produce a class file Connect.class that contains executable Java code:
      % javac Connect.java
    Then invoke the class file as follows and it should connect to and disconnect from your MySQL server:
      % java Connect
      Database connection established
      Database connection terminated
    If you have trouble compiling Connect.java, double check that you have a Java Software Development Kit installed and make sure that the MySQL Connector/J driver is listed in your CLASSPATH environment variable.
    The arguments to getConnection() are the connection URL and the user name and password of a MySQL account. As illustrated by Connect.java, JDBC URLs for MySQL consist of jdbc:mysql:// followed by the name of the MySQL server host and the database name. An alternate syntax for specifying the user and password is to add them as parameters to the end of the connection URL:
    jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user=testuser&password=testpass
    When you specify a URL using this second format, getConnection() requires only one argument. For example, the code for connecting to the MySQL server in Connect.java could have been written like this:
      String url = "jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user="
                      + userName
                      + "&password="
                      + password;
      conn = DriverManager.getConnection (url);
    getConnect() returns a Connection object that may be used to interact with MySQL by issuing queries and retrieving their results. (The next section describes how to do this.) When you're done with the connection, invoke its close() method to disconnect from the MySQL server.

To increase the portability of your applications, you can store the connection parameters (host, database, user name, and password) in a Java properties file and read the properties at runtime. Then they need not be listed in the program itself. This allows you to change the server to which the program connects by editing the properties file, rather than by having to recompile the program.
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    Praveen-Kumar
    Compile Connect.java to produce a class file Connect.class that contains executable Java code:
      % javac Connect.java
    Then invoke the class file as follows and it should connect to and disconnect from your MySQL server:
      % java Connect
      Database connection established
      Database connection terminated
    If you have trouble compiling Connect.java, double check that you have a Java Software Development Kit installed and make sure that the MySQL Connector/J driver is listed in your CLASSPATH environment variable.
    The arguments to getConnection() are the connection URL and the user name and password of a MySQL account. As illustrated by Connect.java, JDBC URLs for MySQL consist of jdbc:mysql:// followed by the name of the MySQL server host and the database name. An alternate syntax for specifying the user and password is to add them as parameters to the end of the connection URL:
    jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user=testuser&password=testpass
    When you specify a URL using this second format, getConnection() requires only one argument. For example, the code for connecting to the MySQL server in Connect.java could have been written like this:
      String url = "jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user="
                      + userName
                      + "&password="
                      + password;
      conn = DriverManager.getConnection (url);
    getConnect() returns a Connection object that may be used to interact with MySQL by issuing queries and retrieving their results. (The next section describes how to do this.) When you're done with the connection, invoke its close() method to disconnect from the MySQL server.

To increase the portability of your applications, you can store the connection parameters (host, database, user name, and password) in a Java properties file and read the properties at runtime. Then they need not be listed in the program itself. This allows you to change the server to which the program connects by editing the properties file, rather than by having to recompile the program.
  • sidworli
    sidworli
    hey really thanx a lot........................u explained so much really thanks
    sidworli
    hey really thanx a lot........................u explained so much really thanks
    Thankz... ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is a list of some of the best engineering projects in our history! What more do you feel should be in the list of the all-time greats?!?๐Ÿ˜‰ Have a...
can i get the details about the project topic overload protection in vehicles using 8051 micro-controller , about the circuit diagram, code and the operations?
With hours of frustrating attempts i gained nothing as a beginner to use winavr. All i need to do is to load a 'C' program for atmel microcontroller into winavr...
TiE aka The Indus Entrepreneurs, Nagpur chapter has announced the next installation of their flagship event - TiEcon Nagpur 2012. Tiecon Nagpur 2012 aims to bring together all the business...
What do I need to attend Mood Indigo? All you need to is a valid college Id-card to attend Mood Indigo. What are the registration charges for Mood Indigo? There...