Reviewing post ratings - do we want them?

I was looking at the stats and found that 'Like' is the only post rating we all have been using and the usage of other post ratings like 'Agree', 'Disagree' & 'Informative' is close very little. Considering that the JavaScript we use to put out these ratings considerably adds to page loading times; I've been wondering whether we can do away with all the other ratings except 'Like'?

My personal opinion is that we should continue with only the 'Like' rating because other ratings have almost no meaning in overall ecosystem.

Let's collect views of all the CEans before we take any decision on these.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - So, you 'agreed' to remove the ratings? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Since the rating system which was introduced & pulled off after a day or so, is no longer coming back, I think that each & every ratings (minus like) is useless.

But,if in future you're planning to bring back the 'rating system', then I think it shouldn't be removed.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ianoop
    I am sorry for being rude,
    I think two button *like/dislike and an additional option for flag a post would be enough.
    For an instance If a post is very good for me then I have to choose one of the options like, agree and informative. while *like would be enough for all of these.Same for *dislike for dislike or disagree.
    for bad spelling, (leaving sms lingo), * is it necessary for an engineer/CEian to be a English grammar ninja*?
    Already said โ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, well we could have continued with it; but I'm looking at the page load times it introduces. Right now, we don't know whether we'll bring it back. But since we have the usage stats; I don't think we'll re-introduce it. If no one is using it; we'll discard it.

Likes, however is an integral part of the system and it will continue.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The ratings like agree and disagree make perfect sense for posts on the Debate Masterminds section and comment section of news articles but else where they do not serve any purpose.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    'Agree', and 'Disagree' are not really useful. It just helps to reduce post count of the thread. However in debate (or any other section as a matter of fact), we want more participants to 'post' and not to just 'rate' a post. This is not Facebook, but a forum. So just 'Like' would be enough. However, 'Informative' should be kept as it spreads knowledge and people who are just skimming through posts can look at specific posts and get that 'extra' info they were looking for. Better to avoid 'Dislike'. If someone does not like a post, then they should reply with suitable wordings about why they think so!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    There are places like 'Technical discussion' where you can use 'disagree' & 'informative'.
    But hey! who does technical discussions, right ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    But hey! who does technical discussions, right ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Way to go with sarcasm. ๐Ÿ˜€
    It's a community effort and I think all that the Mods can do and are supposed to do is spread positivity and an environment of encouragement across the community. The leader is someone every newbie looks up to, right? ๐Ÿ‘

I am using 'agree' and 'informative' judiciously. I think they should stay.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I(also not to forget Jeffrey) have tried a lot in past to rejuvenate technical discussions ,didn't we ? And we tried multiple times with 'weekly technical discussions' & answering in technical discussion sections.

I am Mod, I agree I have responsibilities & I shall spread positivity among forum & encourage CEans. (Haven't I tried my best to encourage ? )
    I don't like to be controversial, but I speak what's in my mind & thus after i drop something it turns into riot.

Whatever, I'll say it again : General topic discussions/contents/debates are degrading the CE quality. I have viewed old discussions which were one world better than current.
    And, I will keep repeating it until I don't see people discussing on technical topics. See,I ain't a hater, I just don't know how to express feelings without sounding offensive,Sorry for that.

And, if for speaking my mind, I am misjudged as flamer or arrogant or whatever, I'll stop suggesting/commenting from right the next moment.
    PS : My only motive is to improve quality of content in CE!

Anyways off-topic =/
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If its eating the loading time , remove them. We can get away without them.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Guys are they first being used by CEans? Actually No So no point in having them around

PS: Gratitude comes in other forms We have too many thank you posts than likes So no point in holding the system any further
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    informative you can remove surely. Dislike also you may remove. Like, agree, disagree let them be.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That won't solve the 'problem', I'm proposing complete removal of all ratings except for the 'Like' which is native to xenForo - the platform we use here on CE.

Let me see if anything better can be done.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Agree and disagree is useful in discussions and debates. Like is standard as u say. Informative is rarely used. and dislike also rarely used.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When Batman rides his car-cum-weapon on his way to save Gotham City, young and old alike dream of owning it. Called the Batmobile - the super configurable car was an...
A lot of people are seen prepping their LinkedIn profiles or About.me page or even their Facebook pages when they are applying for jobs in a new company. Especially experienced...
The united states was the first into the market to sell its first genetically engineered food product'tomatoes' in the market in 1994. Genetically modified foods are food whose genetic materials...
Facebook has today launched an update to the Facebook Messenger app on Android and iOS. Sporting a new and refreshed look and a new app icon, the Facebook Messenger update...
A new app developed by Dr. Kalpana Viswanath and Mr. Anurag Basu from India called SafetiPin lets you find and record information about safety in your surrounding contributed by the...