reverse gear in motorcycles : feasible ?

so what do you guys think of it ? will it involve the generation of a brand new concept all together ?

is it really necessary ? i thought this idea would be useful , in order to make maneuvering the vehicle easier during parking and eliminate the need for the driver to move it , without hitting his legs against the ground.

also another situation i considered where this concept would prove to be useful is that when the garage or the parking area has to be entered by moving up a slope, then the driver can clamber it in reverse gear and park his vehicle in the take-off position.

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    so what do you guys think of it ? will it involve the generation of a brand new concept all together ?

is it really necessary ? i thought this idea would be useful , in order to make maneuvering the vehicle easier during parking and eliminate the need for the driver to move it , without hitting his legs against the ground.

also another situation i considered where this concept would prove to be useful is that when the garage or the parking area has to be entered by moving up a slope, then the driver can clamber it in reverse gear and park his vehicle in the take-off position.
    Yes, it is feasible. It is used in case of very heavy bikes which are difficult to move manually. As per my knowledge many Harley Davidson bikes have reverse gear. But I'm not aware of any bike in India that has reverse gear.
  • saravanan4
    saravanan4
    i appreciate your idea, but concerning the stasis (stability) of the bike in the reverse and control, will not work out. i saw this because my colleagues have worked out this model and ended in failure..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Heavy motorcycles may benefit from a reverse gear when you need an extra power to move the vehicle backwards. Technically, it should be possible as I don't see more changes required than a few in gear train (is this right?).
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    I also find out this idea as very useful.It will be also helpful in some sloppy area where if our bike started moving in downward direction and break are failed then we can switch gear into back direction and stop our bike .And moreover we should have also try to include hand break.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    Heavy motorcycles may benefit from a reverse gear when you need an extra power to move the vehicle backwards. Technically, it should be possible as I don't see more changes required than a few in gear train (is this right?).
    yeah you are right, because as i see in the harley davidson bikes the changes in the gear-box aren't that much.

but there is one strange thing that i noticed: the kick-start pedal is actually attached to the gear box. now is it connected to the engine through a shaft passing via the gear box ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

which is the book which provides all the concepts clearly ?
hi sir im in my final year ece i want to do a project on duophone which makes it possible to make conference calls on landline i want to know...
stirling engine works uder constant temprature and constant volume process while constant temprature is an ideal process and not possible in practical life them how stirling engine is an practical...
Twitter has unveiled its new Twitter bird logo. They say they wanted to get rid of the "small case t" letter that appears on Twitter buttons. The new bird they...
Bernard Piccard, 54-year-old psychiatrist and balloonist, is all geared up for the first solar powered intercontinental flight from Europe to Africa on his Solar Impuse Plane which is huge as...