Reverse bias in N Channel JFET

hello,

In an n channel JFET why is it that a reverse bias existing between the gate and the source despite the fact that we are shorting the gate and source terminals and keeping Vds as a positive quantity. Now a general explanation would be due to presence of a voltage divider that manifests the properties of the n type conducting channel, but then in that case the bias(between the gate and the source) should have been a positive one. We are applying a positive polarity at the drain(of Vds) and a negative polarity(of Vds) at the source. of course this polarity has nothing to do with the after effects of this biasing method but why this anomaly?

thanks

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    proffy
    hello,

In an n channel JFET why is it that a reverse bias existing between the gate and the source despite the fact that we are shorting the gate and source terminals and keeping Vds as a positive quantity.
    Know this
    Vgs=Vg- Vs
    Where Vg = Voltage at the gate
    Vs = Voltage drop at the source resistor
    When we short the Gate terminal and source we have Vg=0

This implies Vgs= -Vs

That explains the negative voltage at gate terminal
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    You must know that Vs= IdRs
    Id= Drain current which is the same as that off Source current
    Rs= Resistance at the source terminal

You must know that the drain current is purely because of the Positive voltage at the Vds

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia HERE has announced that it is launching a community mapping pilot program in India, the first major country where HERE will combine its industrial data collection methods with a...
Google India is in talks with several Direct To Home (DTH) operators in India to deliver YouTube videos directly to your television sets. Francisco Varela, who heads platform partnerships at...
Hi friends doing my project on reconfiguration of radial distribution network, my lecturer ask me to Using GA.. can any body help me to do with the matlab coding for...
Tata Motors India has officially launched the all-new Tata Nano CNG emax variant in the Indian market today. Bearing an official starting price tag of Rs 2.40 lakh (ex-showroom, New...
Did anyone notice the new irctc page looks...looks cool to me ..untill it delivers the required pace at tatkal timings...