Reveal Gmail / Facebook Passwords In Any Browser With Simple Trick

You can easily reveal Gmail password in any browser by using this simple trick. Some of you may already know it, but this should be an eye-opener to those who choose to let browser 'save password'. It could be dangerous if you are a frequent visitor to cyber cafe or access your email accounts from public Internet joints. This could also help you reveal your forgotten Gmail password, without having to go through the entire password resetting process.

The trick requires a little, basic knowledge of HTML. You can try this on your own. Head over to Gmail and type your username. In the passwords section, type anything - because we're going to 'reveal' it. You'll see a series of dots in the password field that will hide any text that you type in it. It's time to reveal it!

Now, if you are in Chrome, right click in the passwords field and select 'Inspect Element' option (at the bottom of your right-click menu). Once you choose that option, you will see a window will open at the bottom of your browser that will show all the HTML code on the left and CSS (used for styling the web page) on the right. Spot the following code in the left pane. If you followed the instructions correctly, you'll see the following code already highlighted :-

Double-click on the 'password' so that you can edit it. Change it to -

For Facebook, it's -

Now click anywhere in the same pane so that the changes take effect. The hidden password is automatically converted into human readable text!

TIP: Make sure that you do all of this when no one's watching you - and I strongly recommend that you should NOT type your real password.

Security Issue?

I believe this could be a security issues with the browsers that offer to auto-fill the fields for you. Most of them will exclude the passwords fields. I never use such features; so I'm not sure if the passwords field is auto-populated.

Note that this only works when you have the passwords field is populated.

Those who're aware of HTML know that this isn't any magic thing. You're just changing the input type from password to text and the browser just follows your instruction and reveals the password. I wonder whether this needs to be addressed by the HTML. I'd like to hear your views on this.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes this is security issue...
    But Firefox is better in this case by having option of Master password.
    Unless you not enter the master password , it will not allow auto fill for password
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I've a second opinion on this - whether we should really call it a security issue. It's true that the password should not be revealed in any case; but that's how HTML treats the passwords field. The dots that hide the text are just masks that are offereed by the 'password' property in HTML.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Will any body help me with some study material on the basics of CNC machines and CNC programming???
The The supreme irony of Electrical Engineering - Check out absolute zero's humorous take -
Hey guys we must have known about working in PRO E, the modelling of solids, sheet metals etc. Me too come in the same category, I just wanted to do...
Hello all, I need some help regarding Implementation of a RF receiver and transmitter for secure data-exchange. I am using RFM70 transceiver for wireless data transfer, I am using a...
Name: grsalvi *Engineering Trade: electrical Location: *Occupation: Employed (actually placed in an IT company but waiting for Joining ) Work Experience: (if applicable) *Hobbies & Interests: Net surfing,coding,reading books,playing flute,Karate,meditation....