Research and Development of a New System at the University of Science and Technology, Missouri, USA

The Missouri University of Science and Technology has received $1 million in funding to improve network security. However, their goal is not to stop outside hackers and attacks, they want to eliminate security threats from inside.

Facilities such as power grids, water plants and driverless vehicles or on-board systems will benefit from this research, with funding from the National Science Foundation of the United States.

Bruce McMillin, professor of computer science at the University of Missouri Science and Technology, said: "Our research and development is to make the system complete what it should do, and even ensure that the system can still play a security role when security levels change or system failures occur."

McMillin took the power grid as an example and said that the power grid should have internal control functions, which must be cut off if a catastrophic failure is imminent. We need to make sure that the components of the system are more intelligent and can be linked and cooperated with other components.

Another example is an unmanned vehicle. McMillin said that such vehicles must be aware of their own and adjacent vehicle operations and trends, as long as there is a failure, it may have catastrophic consequences.

"We want to build a learning system without telling the system what to do next," McMillin said. We want to build a new system to ensure that hackers can't interrupt the interaction between vehicles.

Shaji Khan, professor of information systems at the University of Missouri St. Louis, said: "As far as network security is concerned, the overwhelming majority of the public focuses on hackers who launch attacks or on countries where users may be attacked, but whether man-made or accidental, errors often occur within the system, and these errors often lead to more errors. Great damage."

"What's important is that researchers need to focus more on building a system and completing it internally rather than on external hacker attacks," Khan said.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have completed my 10th with percentage of 87% and my 12th with 51% and my b.tech with 63% then how can apply for MNC's ?can any one can give...
With the macro stabilization, the growth rate of automobiles will still rise. But the more noteworthy thing in this process is the internal differentiation of automobile enterprises. Over the low...
Hi,I am shiva kumar reddy.I am pursuing b.tech in civil engineering.I want to do my major project in manufacturing of fly ash bricks with partial replacement of waste plastic.So please...
which course can i join in present  world for quality testing  for which coaching center is best 
hi peeps i just heard about pinterview.in , which is a site for online interview preparation for MBA Admissionsdoes anyone know about this?.i have just appeared for XAT and TISS,...