Remove Linux

i have installed linux few weeks ago and then got some problems in win xp so need to install a fresh xp .meanwhile i tied to remove linux also so i tried and got an issue .Linux created a partition of approx 3 Gb in my system which is not visible in xp .How to get that amount of memory free from linux Do some software helps me in retrieving that memory ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinci
    i have installed linux few weeks ago and then got some problems in win xp so need to install a fresh xp .meanwhile i tied to remove linux also so i tried and got an issue .Linux created a partition of approx 3 Gb in my system which is not visible in xp .How to get that amount of memory free from linux Do some software helps me in retrieving that memory ?
    Begin the installation with Windows XP CD and it'll give you an option to edit partitions.
  • vinci
    vinci
    but dont it format my windows again ?I dont want to format xp now
  • vinci
    vinci
    as i said i want to remove linux partition from xp ,Let me know if some CE knows a better way than formatting my xp
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    You need to remove the Ext2 partition in order to get windows installed, but in case, you want the files to be intact, you can:
    1. shrink the ext2 partition to just hold the data
    2. Create a FAT32 partition on the gained space.
    3. Move some data over
    5. shrink ext2, enlarge FAT, rinse, repeat.

If the disk is only 50% full that should do. GNU parted is rumoured to do resizing.
    Use GParted for this! 😀
  • lonniedivers
    lonniedivers
    you must manually delete the partitions used by the Linux operating system. The Windows-compatible partition can be created automatically during the installation of Windows XP.
    Start your computer with the Linux Setup floppy disk, type fdisk at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    1. Type p at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to display partition information. The first item listed is hard disk 1, partition 1 information, and the second item listed is hard disk 1, partition 2 information.
    2. Type d at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. You are then prompted for the partition number that you want to delete. Type 1, and then press ENTER to delete partition number 1. Repeat this step until all the partitions have been deleted.
    3. Type w, and then press ENTER to write this information to the partition table. Some error messages may be generated , but they should not be significant at this point because the next step is to restart the computer and then install the new operating system.
    4. Type q at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Fdisk tool.
    5. Insert either a bootable floppy disk or the bootable Windows XP CD-ROM, and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer.
  • vinci
    vinci
    i will try this also and let you know if something good happens to my system

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I stumbled upon following interview of Mr. Ashank Desai, founder of MASTEK; one of the leading software companies in India. Those who are aspiring to be an entrepreneur must read...
I am working on replacing a carburetter from a bike engine with an electronic petrol injector (similar to that used in car engines nowadays). I have planned the whole system...
I am getting Problem in saving my event data using google Calendar API in language such as hindi other than english. It saves data successfully but shows some strange codes...
A screenshot of the GDrive (Google's Cloud Storage Service) made an appearance after a Geekwire reader leaked it. A lot of people are saying it is a poorly edited version...
is it doing paper presentations during any college symposium and events worth???? my actual question is what is actually the use in doing paper presentations???? will it be a bonus...