Remote Controlled Cyborg Moth ‘Biobots’ Use EMIT Methodology Developed at NCSU

North Carolina State University (NCSU) researchers have tried to develop a cybernetic moth or biobot that can be electronically controlled. The experts implanted the electrodes into the thorax of a moth by using a novel and reliable methodology called Early Metamorphosis Insertion Technology (EMIT) when it was metamorphosing from a pupal stage into an adult, winged insect. The electrodes helped the researchers to remotely manipulate the flight muscles of the moth and also helped to monitor the electrical signals that were used by the moth to control those muscles. The primary focus of this research is to remotely-control the flights of the moths or biobots so that they can be used in applications such as search and rescue operations.

Moth

The wireless platform, which is connected to the moth, is used to collect electromyographic data (a technique which is used to evaluate and record the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles) from the wing movements of the moth. It helped the team in understanding the entire process of moth’s flying. The moth was placed in a platform by suspending it in mid-air with the help of electromagnets and it was also given the freedom to turn left and right. The below video gives the detailed information about the research, that was performed on the moth.

Dr Alper Bozkurt, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, stated that this information is crucial to achieve the objective of creating biobots that can be integrated into a cyberphysical sensor network. And, by attaching the sensors to the moths, they want to create an adaptable, aerial sensor network that can help to identify the survivors at the time of disasters. He also further mentioned that a lot of work is yet to be done in order to make the moth biobot a feasible tool.

The research titled #-Link-Snipped-# was published online in the Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE).

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bipolar Junction transistor: 1. A solid state device made up of single crystal. 2. A current controlled device. 3. It is compact in size, rugged construction, low operating voltage, high...
hi everyone, I need assistance anf guidance, as I completed my btech in ECE I am confused about choosing a job oriented course , can anyone please guide me and...
Smartphone manufactures are always trying to cram in as much battery life as possible to their products but their efforts cannot keep up with expectations of a generation who like...
from where i can download LAN driver for my dell inspiron N5010 ? because i want to use windows 8 on my laptop and Dell company do not provides drivers...
The jobs that require people to be on their feet 90% of the times; such as in factories, assembly lines, warehouses, restaurants et cetera are naturally very tiring. It's almost...