Remember Orkut? It's Got #hashtags, if you still care

Do you remember Orkut? Almost everyone around me was hooked to it until Facebook came and ate its lunch. But Google's still betting on the service and adding new features to the service. Google's just enabled #hashtags feature in Orkut. When you post any content, you can create hashtags automatically by adding a hash in front of the word that you wish to tag. For example, if you write - I just joined #crazyengineers (remember, no spaces) then the service will automatically highlight #crazyengineers and will link it to a search page where other hashtags or relevant results will be displayed.

Check this official Google Blog update: #-Link-Snipped-#

By the way, how many of you are still active on Orkut?

Replies

• K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    I forgot the URL of orkut ! can someone post it here ???😛
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Interesting, found out many CE communities created by various college students in Orkut!

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    What is orkut? I've almost forgot about it.

@Mr.Don - Nice search 👍
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mr.Don
    Interesting, found out many CE communities created by various college students in Orkut!

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Thats a HUGE list! 😲

one of my friends said she missed the 'testimonials' on Orkut.

PS: No one cares what orkut does, let alone if it even exists or not.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Openness , games and apps on facebook killed orkut.Google lately allowed games and apps.
    No friends activity was going on facebook.
    One day one of my friend asked me to be team of game Mafia war and neighbor of a game Firmville , no matter you play or not.
    This was a significant way that you can be on social network and play games meanwhile.

I don't know why still Google still improving Orkut!!!
  • nigelb
    nigelb
    Its fun to see Google keeping Orkut alive when they themselves have a competing product in G+.
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    nigelb
    Its fun to see Google keeping Orkut alive when they themselves have a competing product in G+.
    This is true of many Google products. They sometimes acquire a competing product but still keep both products operational instead of merging them.
    This has happened with youtube and google video as well. For a long time google video hosted its own videos even though youtube was under the google household.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the Google products have been failures.
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    The_Big_K

Definitely not this one - Les Paul's 96th Birthday
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    circularsquare
    Definitely not this one - Les Paul's 96th Birthday
    That's not a product. It's a doodle. Google Buzz was a classic failure.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Ah! I have an account in orkut😲 I don't think that orkut can compete with Facebook.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    They are monster in making products... if most of them will succeed Google will be synonym of internet and software.
    take a look a search engine: who use other search engine other than google.com. Microsoft tried on bing a lot but nothing happens.
    Gmail is fastest growing email in personal users.
    Android already beats iOS.
    Adsense and adwords changed the way of internet ads.
    Cloud is coming.

At least some space should be there on internet other than google. 😀
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    Something to think over -
    Initially when google started out till many years it didn't create it's own content. It only linked to other people's content.
    For example google news never provided it's own news. It has always linked to news agency websites and just collated the content at one place according to relevance.
    Google search always is about other websites.

Same with youtube , the videos are posted by someone else.
    In contrast yahoo has always been content provider what with games and stuff.

Is this proposition still valid that 'Google doesn't produce own content as such only brings it together in one place' ?

By content I mean stuff such as knowledge , games, entertainment, news articles , etc.

I won't include videos which explain google features as content per se. Those are simply information.
    I think closest Google gets to being part of world culture is when it does the doodles.
  • vinci
    vinci
    google is still strongly competing Apple and facebook in terms of products and softwares
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    Yup I have a orkut account in my past but now I don't know.I just forgot my id and password
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    sowjitha
    Yup I have a orkut account in my past but now I don't know.I just forgot my id and password
    Ohh, that's sad. Never mind! 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Shopveg.in is a service exclusive to Mumbai that promises to deliver fresh vegetables, dry fruits, fruits and groceries right to your doorstep. All you've to do is head over to...
I wish to develop an application where in I enter a keyword, say Computer. What the application is required to do is open the browser, load google.com, type the keyword...
Electronic transportation systems is the new buzzword in the technology and engineering world. While USA and Europe is rapidly adopting the EVs (I admit that they're far from being popular,...
Aakash seems to be a big hit with Indian tablet fans. With over 100000 tablets being ordered every day, I'm sure a lot of our CEans should have obtained the...
Hi Everyone, i know how an engine works. What i want to know is what are the materials used for engineering a engine. Like the material of cylinder block, crank...