Relation between pH and MOL (Milk Of Lime)

I have undergone an industrial visit to Sugar industry. In Sulphitation area ( In sugar industry), Sugar juice is mixed with SO2 gas. But if it is mixed directly, the sugar juice becomes acid. So to avoid this, MOL (Milk Of Lime), which is pH Booster is added with juice before adding SO2. After adding MOL, pH should be maintained around 8.9 or 9. According to the pH value we should maintain the flow of MOL. Now my question is, " Is there any relation already existing between the flow of MOL and pH value?"
for example, if i want to increase 1 pH value, what should be the flow rate of MOL?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are a large number of variants of sugar refining process. SO2 can be added before, together with or post MOL addition. Control can be manual or automatic. If the pH is too acidic inversion of sugar takes place.
    MoL has a pH about 12.3. Obviously the quantity of MoL will depend upon the SO2 in the liquor.
    This document gives some general info on the various processes in use:
    Sugar Engineers
  • ANU SEKAR
    ANU SEKAR
    A.V.Ramani
    There are a large number of variants of sugar refining process. SO2 can be added before, together with or post MOL addition. Control can be manual or automatic. If the pH is too acidic inversion of sugar takes place.
    MoL has a pH about 12.3. Obviously the quantity of MoL will depend upon the SO2 in the liquor.
    This document gives some general info on the various processes in use:
    Sugar Engineers
    In the industry I have visited, the pH control is manual. I have decided to do automation. can you please suggest me some ways to carry out this project.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    On-Off controls work satisfactorily where large masses are involved. There are are many pH sensors available in the market. Use one of these and a set point control that switches a MoL feed pump or solenoid valve if gravity feed is used. MoS is a mild alkali. There will be no wild swings of pH if excess is added.
  • ANU SEKAR
    ANU SEKAR
    I have read in an IEEE paper that "pH is a non linear parameter and conventional P, PI cannot be used" In that paper they used Adaptive non linear controller.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If the mass is large, the rate of change of a parameter is slow. On-Off control is best in such situations. This is true about temperature also, even though accurate sensors are available.
    In the case of sulphitisation, there is no great accuracy needed, since manual controls are often used.
    Adaptive non linear control can be used. However, is it needed?
  • madhu27
    madhu27
    Sir, On-off control is used for manual operation. But for automation, is it enough?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Manual control is where an operator reads a pH meter and adjusts by hand a valve or a pump to put in more MoL till the value needed is reached.
    In On-Off auto control the variable is converted into a voltage (or current), compared with a set value and the pump or valve actuated depending on the value.

I am using an on/off control with a microprocessor to regulate the temperature in a sterilizer. The processor is used for monitoring various parameters and abnormal conditions.
  • madhu27
    madhu27
    Sir, for a batch process it works good. But it is a continuous process. By using on off control only 100% open or 100% close is possible. How can it be used for continuous flow?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Can you put up a sketch or a line diagram of the process? Are you having just a pipe through which the cane juice flows without any tank in line? Are you talking about regular sugar manufacturing or some other industry?
  • ANU SEKAR
    ANU SEKAR
    A.V.Ramani
    Can you put up a sketch or a line diagram of the process? Are you having just a pipe through which the cane juice flows without any tank in line? Are you talking about regular sugar manufacturing or some other industry?
    Sir, Myself and Madhu27 are batchmates doing the same project. we are talking about the regular sugar industry. In the industry we visited, they dont have any seperate mixing tank for juice and MOL. It gets mixed in the Line. After mixing the pH should be around 8.9 or 9.This pH can be maintained by controlling the flow of MOL. And this mixture when mixed with SO2, the pH should be maintained around 7.3 or 7.4. For maintaining this pH value, we should adjust the flow of SO2. The primary controlled variable is MOL. Only if the final pH is not 7.3 or 7.4 (after Sulphitation) we should control the flow of SO2, since SO2 is costly than MOL.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Where does the mix go after all this is done? What is the next process?
    Where are you people located? What exactly is the project that you are working on? If it is a course related project that is already configured, it is better that you concentrate on the execution of the proposal rather than scouting around.

If some kind of control scheme has already been though of then let us look at how to go forward with that instead of starting from scratch.
  • ANU SEKAR
    ANU SEKAR
    A.V.Ramani
    Where does the mix go after all this is done? What is the next process?
    Where are you people located? What exactly is the project that you are working on? If it is a course related project that is already configured, it is better that you concentrate on the execution of the proposal rather than scouting around.

If some kind of control scheme has already been though of then let us look at how to go forward with that instead of starting from scratch.

It goes to clarifier in sugar process. we are located in Coimbatore,Tamil Nadu, India. Our project is pH Automation in sugar industries. Now we have to design or choose suitable Controller Which can effectively control pH.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I assume that the limed syrup is delivered directly to the clarifier where the precipitation of the sulfite and impurities take place.
    I still feel that pH in the clarifier should be monitored and lime added. Since the clarifier volume will be fairly large, an on-off control would work. If you are very particular, a less than needed MoL flow can be set in a constant supply and the on-off controller only adds the extra needed to control the pH.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can you help me please to understand how can I make eye tracking or EEG and How can I make it move my chair to all directions ??
Opensource softwares are dominating the world, like it or not. The way Opensource is moving ahead, seems like every sector will be Opensource soon. There was ProjectVGA back then, for...
4 days ago on Ubuntu official website, there was countdown going on. Finally yesterday countdown end & Canonical announced Ubuntu Edge. What is Ubuntu Edge ? The next generation smartphone...
KDE's Vivaldi Tablet, formerly known as KDE spark; was in development for so long, recently Aaron Siego have confirmed that KDE Vivaldo tablet has been shipped for QA testing as...
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP- the traffic-regulating system that avoids internet congestion by spewing out various algorithms) is the reason you're reading this post. While every version of TCP is evolving...