Regenerative braking in an electric car

my project group is working on a project where waste energy during deceleration and during the application of brakes is tapped.
this project is very much related to the electric car REVA.
the main parts of the project are
a DC Motor
A electromagnetic clutch
a generator
battery

what we are doing is, when the foot is lifted of the accelerator pedal, the supply to motor is cut off. also the clutch is disengaged. at this time, the vehicle would be moving freely due to its momentum. we have mechanised the system in such a way that a generator comes in contact with the freely rotating member of the clutch. due to this rotation of the generator, energy is produced and at the same time, vehicle slows down.

the problem that we are facing is, we have scaled down the project to a bench model (for various constraints like time, money, complexity, rules & limitations imposed by the college) and since its a bench model, the momentum is very small. so the wheels are not rotating for a longer time than expected because of their low momentum and the absence of traction. hence the energy tapped by the generator is very low, almost negligible..!

can u guys help out in some way...

Replies

• 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    do u want to increase the speed ?

or want generator to tapped more energy ?
    tell me clearly
  • dilip8815
    dilip8815
    we want to tap more energy from the generator.!!

to tap more, the generator has to rotate for a longer duration. and for generator to rotate for a longer duration, the momentum of the wheels should be high, which i am not able to get in this model because its a bench model!
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    hey dilip thats really a good job man... actually i also had posted on the same topic and got alot of suggestions from CEANS....but havent applied practically...best of luck for your project dude...
  • gohm
    gohm
    How about r/c?
  • Automaniac
    Automaniac
    For the required purpose, you require a small permanent magnet fractional horsepower motor used as the generator.
    But for such prototyping, you would end-up having to use a motor/generator of larger size in order to get out the power that you want at such a slow speed.

So my suggestion would be a Custom Wound Generator.

Kudos!!
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    since u cant increase the wheel speed , therefore energy is constant . To trap more energy , you have to use efficient generators.
    your hypothesis that to trap more energy , generator has to run for longer duration is completely wrong .
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    dilip8815
    my project group is working on a project where waste energy during deceleration and during the application of brakes is tapped.
    this project is very much related to the electric car REVA.
    the main parts of the project are
    a DC Motor
    A electromagnetic clutch
    a generator
    battery

what we are doing is, when the foot is lifted of the accelerator pedal, the supply to motor is cut off. also the clutch is disengaged. at this time, the vehicle would be moving freely due to its momentum. we have mechanised the system in such a way that a generator comes in contact with the freely rotating member of the clutch. due to this rotation of the generator, energy is produced and at the same time, vehicle slows down.

the problem that we are facing is, we have scaled down the project to a bench model (for various constraints like time, money, complexity, rules & limitations imposed by the college) and since its a bench model, the momentum is very small. so the wheels are not rotating for a longer time than expected because of their low momentum and the absence of traction. hence the energy tapped by the generator is very low, almost negligible..!

can u guys help out in some way...

Regenerative braking is very good. You can do two things:

1) Instead of a small model (which is still a very good idea), you can have a Matlab model with all the ideal factors (friction, generator efficiency, road roughness, contact pressures, etc.). This way, yours is a highly realistic model.

2) Instead of having a small car as your model, have just a pair of wheels rotating with an electric motor on very well lubricated supports. Thereby, you can make the wheels larger (more momentum due to increased weight and increased radius of gyration).

Best of luck, do let us know what you are doing! Keep us updated!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

my project is network monitouring system in java i want to add functionality like tracking IP,host name of host,name of os,version of os,installed software in that particulre client computer. can...
Hello CEans, I’m trying my hand at the B-Plan (business plan) for the first time for a tech fest. And I think I can do with all help I can...
hiii......:smile: Can anyone help me in my mini project..- "A 4 bit microprocessor using VHDL programming" ??? I hve just completed a 3 weeks short term course in VLSI desin...
for a normal bike like splendor. how many volt's battery we required😔 ? is it 6 volt ? and for four wheelers......
sir what are an amplifier increased the sound quality and how