redhat linux queries

i have the following doubts about redhat linux 5
1.HOw to listen to songs in redhat
2.how to see the videos in redhat
3.Can i copy data from pendrive in linux??If yes how?
4.How to run EXE file in linux.
5.HOw to write graphics code in GCC compiler??(i mean in TC we specify path
like e.g initgraph(&gd,&gm,"c:\\tc\\bgi");what is in linux??)
😔

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I don't know much about linux..but once i heard from my friend you have to install a software named 'wine' for executing .exe file in linux
  • samaira
    samaira
    And how should i install it??I mean if i have to download that software then it must be also exe file na
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    samaira
    And how should i install it??I mean if i have to download that software then it must be also exe file na
    For your information, Linux doesn't have any .exe files.

You can download the wine software here: WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS

I've once used WINE but I found that very few Windows apps run smoothly in it.
    Some apps like MS Office run very good.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    samaira
    Yes, you can copy data from your pen drive in Linux.

Do it the same way as you do in Windows. Just plug it and a new drive will be automatically mounted.
  • Mangesh6688
    Mangesh6688
    1 & 2) For playing songs and videos you can use players like xine, Mplayer etc.
    Download and install from official site #-Link-Snipped-#

3) Yes you can. Just by right clicking on file or folder and click copy and click paste where you want copy that file or folder.

4) Linux does not support .exe files. You can use #-Link-Snipped-# or Cedega for running windows applications in Linux.
  • Mangesh6688
    Mangesh6688
    samaira
    No, it is not necessary to have that software in .exe file.
    Download the software from #-Link-Snipped-#
    It is present in .rpm file.
  • samaira
    samaira
    thanks everyone.I'll try these and will ask further doubts if i get any
  • krunal_p
    krunal_p
    "graphics.h" is not a standard library of C. So you can not implement it in RedHat.

You can use X11 library of Linux GCC.

For transferring data from USB, you have to mount it. You can use mount command.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Better you should switch to other linux distribution like Linux mint 7, Kubuntu,mandriva, OPENSuse etc . They have all those things that you require preinstalled with OS.
    For installing rpm packages is not a easy job for newbies, it requires much patience. For getting rid of dependencies problem, you have to configure yum server. There are many open source players like smplayer,mplayer,vlc etc that you can install by commands like "rpm -ivh " & then execute commands given in INSTALL file in the package directory created after executing the above command.
    Pendrive detection is generally automatic. If pendrive is not detected automatically then you have to mount it by giving command like " mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/pendrive" after making the folder pendrive (mkdir /mnt/pendrive)
    For running exe files, you have to install wine in redhat & run exe in wine environment (wine package is not an exe file, it will be rpm file). In case of other OS like Mint,Kubuntu, that I have mentioned above have wine by default.
    There are many open source C compilers avaliable like gcc. devC. devC supports graphics, but the coding is different from TurboC used in windows. I have even used turboC in linux Mint by using a program called DOSBox emulator, turboC will not work if you try to install it in wine environment.

In case of ubuntu, there is a very large repositories of packages online that can be installed by commands "sudo apt-get install mplayer". It installs the package automatically from the repositories server. For removing the package "sudo apt-get remove mplayer"
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    samaira
    1.HOw to listen to songs in redhat
    I prefer xmms. You will need to download and install it separately.

samaira
    2.how to see the videos in redhat
    I prefer vlc. You will need to download and install it separately.

samaira
    It's as easy as it was in Windows. But more secure. In RH5, you need to mount the usb device. In later versions, they get auto-mounted.

samaira
    4.How to run EXE file in linux.
    Use Wine, Cedega or Crossover. I use to prefer Crossover due to its user friendliness but it costs $40. The recent version of Wine (1.1 afaik) is better though and I have made the switch myself.
  • geeksuresh
    geeksuresh
    look samaira ... there is no need to play with linux if u r not a power user..
    if u use linux for simple work like for office than just stick to windows because it is very easy ease. But if u really wanna mess with linux than use a simple and easy to use distribution like linuxmint pclinuexos madrive . i think these are the best for a newbie.
    and of course you can hav them free of cost .You can order ubuntu online free of cost.
    just go to ubuntu.com

As far as problem with multimedia files u can play them by just double clicking. yes in linux disributions i have mentioned u can.
    and the best thing i like abt linux is the gcc compiler which is the most powerful for building GUI based application...

if u have any problem regarding the Linux OS feel to ask quiries....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Centrifugal pumps are designed to operate in a specific direction, usually clockwise (CW) or counterclockwise (CCW) when viewed from the drive end
Hello, I want to study about an Electronic Circuit Component, I need answer for these questions : Figures 1 and 2 below show that we can decompose 74HCT597 the circuit...
Since we have a fair amount of interest in automotive/racing engineering in this forum, I thought I would post about a good resource available for information or project ideas. Racecar...
this is Elias graduate class of computer science and engineering.im just crazy in choosing title of my final project please help me in choosing title. elias@crazyengineers.net