Recursive functions and circular functions

Hi,
Is is true that recursive functions are also called as circular functions?
If yes, then what is the basis?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# From what I remember from my textbooks, by definition -
    A recursive function or subroutine is a method which calls itself to do part of the work. Since that can be imagined as a circle or represented by a flowchart that goes on and on, they might be called circular functions.

I however, don't remember specifically reading about recursive functions being called circular functions. Where did you read about it?
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    circle or represented by a flowchart that "goes on and on"

See, the recursive function cannot be a circular function because even if there is a call to function itself, it does not happen indefinitely. There is always a base case (or condition) from where the function is supposed to exit in one way or the other (either by displaying some message or returning some value).

So, is calling recursive function, a circular function not a misnomer ?
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    proffy
    circle or represented by a flowchart that "goes on and on"

See, the recursive function cannot be a circular function because even if there is a call to function itself, it does not happen indefinitely. There is always a base case (or condition) from where the function is supposed to exit in one way or the other (either by displaying some message or returning some value).

So, is calling recursive function, a circular function not a misnomer ?
    I think you answered your own question?
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    @I think you answered your own question?

I was just trying to confirm if my logic was justified....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, We all know TCS & TTL are from Tata group. Can one guy have Job offers from both the companies? Thanks Ram
Can a union be initialized in a C program? If yes, then what is the procedure?
The brand born out of a wedlock between Alcatel-Lucent (French) and TCL Communication (Chinese) is called Alcatel OneTouch. The company has been steadily introducing its mobile devices in the Indian...
Hi friends, The concept says that the the symbol table during the compilation phase maintains information about the identifier's name and its data type. However, it is also mentioned that...
Born and brought up in Delhi, Pallavi Singh grew up with both her parents working. She is an Electronics and Communication engineer by degree, but found her calling in the...