Reasons Why Educated People Don't Wear Helmet While Riding Motorcycle?

I've always talked about this topic on my personal blog, but have always failed to get a convincing answer. I see so many engineering students and professionals commute in highly trafficked routes to colleges & offices without wearing a helmet. Everyone knows that whenever a two-wheeler involves in accident, the rider suffers major head-injuries and it's #1 cause of deaths.

I've found out that wearing a helmet is considered as 'uncool' among young people. If your friends don't wear helmet, you won't wear it too. Because you always want to be like your friends.

Think about it. Give me your excuses.

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Give excuses or don't give excuses?

Okay, let me say my point of view. I personally love to live and safe guard myself but due to the police men I started wearing the helmet. Yeah, I am careful enough to make sure I drive legitimately and won't get into problems. You know, it just blocks our sight or even sometimes we can't hear stuffs happening outside. That's one major issue while using helmets. And other than that, the full helmet users have a problem of breathing issues. They can't get the free flow of air! This is my view or excuse. What do you think?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't buy the point that helmet blocks the sight. If it did, motorcycle racers would never wear helmet. I believe helmet offers the perfect viewing angle and panorama, a normal eye can handle.

PS: I did mean 'Give your excuses'. Because lot of CEans don't wear helmet. I know.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I love riding long long distances.

Till 2008 I never used a helmet except in hyderabad traffic where there is too much of pollution and traffic police.
    I didnt wear it because I used to think that if we are careful, its not necessary to wear helmet, and talking to people who sit with us is difficult 😀

After a major accident, luckily I was wearing my helmet at that time I decided to wear helmet.

Now I wear my helmet always (when I drive)
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Defiantly safety is prime importance! but over safety is not essential. Wearing helmet while riding bike is decreases your riding pleasure. Again If you are driving slowly & calmly there is very low chances for accident.
    Who says people wearing helmet does not died in mishap.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    Who says people wearing helmet does not died in mishap.
    The best excuse I've heard so far. Keep them coming, folks.
  • gohm
    gohm
    The main one here in the US is that poeple say "I should have the freedom to choose not to, that is my right". Yes, I am a fan of individual rights but the problem I have with that "logic" is people who make a poor decision such as not wearing a helmet would most likely make other bad choices. These would be fine IF they only impacted the chooser but more often then not they can have an effect on someone esle as well, including an univolved bystander such as myself. Now you've had a negative impact on someone else's right. Wear all the gear, all the time or walk. =)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Frankly speaking, I've always been scared of economics - as the subject was always boring and filled with complicated terms. However, I've been trying to figure out the basics of...
we are a extrusion die manufacturer for more than 20 years,i dont know hoe to open our business overseas,to have a reliable partner is difficult. because of we chinese- english...
If the whole country takes to streets for a week from 16th August, WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, can force the government to enact a strong Jan Lokpal Bill. Will...
sir iam getting seat in ANDHRA UNIVERSITY INDIA'S 31 BEST COLLEGE,in GEOINFORMATICS by eamcet2011.can you please tell me about itand it's placements.are salary levels are more for other core groups...
Cognizant's Combined Campus Freshers Recruitment Drive Eligibility Criteria for IT: Open only to the students with following degrees Category 1: BE / B Tech / ME / M Tech /...