Readers Digest Scam Or What?

Reader's Digest is a reputed publication and I used to subscribe to them in the past. Ever since last few months (I remember, since last year), they've been sending following mails repeatedly. I wonder whether this is scam or something legit. I followed the instructions and then found out that they ask for my credit card information so that I subscribe to something. 😡

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTICE OF SELECTION[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]POTENTIAL FINALIST TO WIN INSTANT Rs.35,00,000 IN THE THIRD AND LAST STAGE OF THE READER'S DIGEST RUPEES 1 CRORE SWEEPSTAKES.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Potential Winner,[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An Official Access Code has been issued in your name. It confirms that you are the only person in the whole of India who can activate the Sweepstakes entry on reserve for you. If your luck holds and your entry goes on to be drawn as a winner, you'd have sole claim to a cash amount worth of Rs.35,00,000.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may be surprised to know that in all of India, less than 1% of the households have been selected to receive this fabulous book offer that helps you take care of your minor ailments and save visits to the doctor by tips from 'Eat Well Stay Well'. While many of your neighbours will never be selected, you have already been fortunate enough to clear two of the three stages there are, to becoming a winner in our Sweepstakes![/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now it's all up to you, you must make the most of your chance. Simply click for your Official Access Code and access the private web site to activate your entries now.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll be pleased you did.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P Gandhi
Marketing Director,
Sweepstakes Committee
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. When people receive a Sweepstakes invitation – like the one you now have – they often decide to discard it, thinking, "no one ever really wins." And it is a fact that if you choose to ignore your entries, you will NEVER have the good luck to win ANYTHING in our Draws. Don't let this guaranteed chance slip away, just click for your Official Access Code, you could win as much as Rs.35,00,000 in cash. Act quickly![/FONT] * Reader's Digest will send you emails from time to time, to inform you about our latest activities and promotions, because we value you as our customers. However, you may discontinue this at any time - just send an email to #-Link-Snipped-# with the subject header and we will remove you from our emailing list promptly.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Same case with me! I have got these emails many number of times.

They say that get Reebok glasses for Rs.1/- then they add some other items and they finally say get all these items for Rs.2500/- and they are not worth it!
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    doesn't seems from the original reader's digest site...............................
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I've been subscribing to Readers' Digest for a few years now, and I've been getting these mails too..
    Not once or twice, but every year, around this time, such mails do arrive, along with my subscribed copy of the magazine.

Maybe, they are actually conducting a lottery or something, and maybe, they are actually giving away those prizes.. I dunno.
    I don't care.. And luckily, the magazine itself is still good and I like it. So, I keep on subscribing to it, and whatever extra is thrown at me, I just ignore!!
  • shoebleon
    shoebleon
    Its better we ignore such mails or report them.They are fake.It doesnt even have a proper link for The Readers Digest just the icons or logo.Neither the official website of RD has any of such lottery adverstised. Not even in its print publication has it. No wonder its a pure scam and fraudulent soliciting email.
    Beware

Thanks
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I get 10 to 15 such mails per month. It is from RD. Only today I sent a mail asking them to close my account and stop sending me promo material in future. I got a prompt reply that my request has been acceded to.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I Want To Send Data From Digital Energy Meter to GPRS Modem Sender Side and Then GPRS Modem will Send that Data to Internet Cloud..From internet Cloud i will Receive...
Apart from training, I keep hearing from the 3rd year engineers that they have joined some or the other class, where they will learn how to perform well in aptitude...
The news of Osama Bin Laden's Death is making headlines all over the world media today. Osama was one of the biggest terrorists and his death is surely creates a...
hello friends, today i got a crazy idea of commenting on others signatures we are giving comments and likes to others post then why can't we comment on others signatures...
What do you think people? How can we call Osama a terrorist? He gave up his *millions* for the sake of his own people. If he was really a greedy...