Rant: English grammar going down the hill?

Is it just me or has the grammar gone down the hill in recent times?

I regularly come across people that have a hard time forming simple sentences - these are college graduates with "work experience" mind you. 😭

I remember our English teacher used to really make us work hard. Is it the schools, is it the people or am I just overreacting? 👀

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I feel that ignorance and the attitude of paying-no-heed to perfection is the reason.
    Poorly constructed English sentences are such a turn down.

People don't seem to enjoy purity for some reason. 👎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking - English is the language of administration than communication for the people who aren't native English speakers. You can get 100% of your work done even with just a few words in English; and I've experienced it. One of the Chinese colleague (fellow blogger) on my Once In A Lifetime 2.0 - All Expenses Paid Trip To Israel - Follow The Big K! couldn't speak English - but language never became the barrier. Not many of my Israeli friends were fluent in English; but they were already designing chips for top-notch telecom companies and writing code for Google.

The point is - not knowing grammar doesn't 'stop' anything.

Second point: English isn't a perfect language itself. The language itself can't justify why 'put' and 'but' are pronounced the way they are.

I've stopped bothering about English skills; except when 'Good English' is the basic requirement. For example, we're very strict on our bloggers about their English writing skills. But when speaking or during general conversations I'm not bothered. I'm not a grammar ninja myself; and don't intend to become one.

Unfortunately, the importance we give to English is 'stupid'. We should learn from China, Japan, Germany, Israel and several small countries that put their own language in front of English (a foreign language). It hasn't become an obstacle in their progress. Why should we be bothered about our English skills?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    People don't seem to enjoy purity for some reason. 👎
    You know Sanskrit. I've been told it's grammatically correct language and a few German and American Universities have accepted it as 'the language' to learn.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Culture is going down the hill. Music (in general, Arts) is going downhill. Religion is going downhill. Then is it any wonder that English grammar is going downhill.

When the general attitude of people is that anything goes, then this state of decadence should come as no surprise.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    When I was in 10th grade, my Sanskrit teacher told me that German is fork of Sanskrit. She was learning German at that time. But, since I am a Science student, I only believe in proof.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are happy to announce the launch of our new website: https://forbixindia.com We manufacture electronic automation and lighting products. All our products are indigenous designed and manufactured in Bangalore India,...
Hie, i have completed my B.com from annamalai university(distance education). i wanna choose career in IT field. although i have made my mind to become Software developer or tester. but...
how exactly do we calculate plinth area,floor area, carpet area& built up area of a building?
The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) of USA has allowed PillCam - the tiny pill with camera that will swim through your body and capture photographs of the stuff it...
Bajaj Pulsar Super Sport 400SS has been unveiled at the Auto Expo In Noida. The bike looks stunning and there are a lot of interesting things about the bike, it...