“Ransomware” Pops Up In London; Demands £100 Fine From Victims For “Illegal Web Use”

In past year we have seen various malicious applications trying to steal information from institutions like #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#but this one sends in a direct threat to the victims in Great Britain demanding £100 fine citing illegal web use. The program makes the victims believe that their web browsing activities are being monitored by the police as after the virus has taken over the computer makes it irresponsive and displays a warning page apparently from the Metropolitan Police of London and demanding a fine of 100 pounds. In order to make the message look authentic hackers have put up logos of Metropolitan Police and the Police Central Crime e-Crime Unit (PCEU) on the message.

In a statement to the press Detective Inspector Jason Tunn from the PCEU has said users must immediately inform them about this instead of complying with the threat. He also stated that three suspects, two men and a woman from Stoke-on-Trent have been arrested in this case. Ransomware seems to be on the rise as earlier this month another ransomware had hit an Australian Medical centre which encrypted all its patient records demanded a ransom of 400 Australian dollars from the hospital authorities to decrypt them.

Source: Trio arrested in Staffordshire over 'ransomware' scam - BBC News

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The 35$ "near-linux-computer" is improving at unimaginable pace.Thanks to OpenSource community/developers.Raspberry Pi developer has introduced Pi store, where you can get Apps for Raspberry Pi, collaborating with Velocix & Indiecity.Developer...
After valve's move to support Ubuntu for Steam for linux & ditching Windows 8 compatibility. Next move is way more exciting. Valve's Steam Engine to build Linux game Console. This...
I wasn't aware that the Government Of India is implementing a national optic fiber network with an investment of about Rs. 20,000 crores. Sam Pitroda, who advises the PM on...
Name: david krause *Engineering Trade: Design engineering within the basic research genre ranging from aerospace to medical to industrial Location:southeastern USA [central North Carolina specifically] *Occupation: Contract/consulting design engineer Work...
high guys pls help me out I need ansys 14.0 full version software