Raj Dutt, CEO, APIC Corp and Photonic Corp Designs Chip For F-35 fighter jet

Mr. Raj Dutt, the CEO of APIC Corp and Photonic is an IIT Kharagpur Alumnus. His company has developed an energy efficient next-generation chip that has impressed the Pentagon.
THe chip is now being tested for usability in the F-35 fighter jets. [F-35 Joint Strike Fighters.]

The significance of the technology is that information transfer on the semiconductor chip as well as between components, will now be done using light — photons — instead of just electrons.

Mr. Dutt's quote:

Photons do not generate heat, thus they do not need to be cooled. For electronics, cooling is one of the largest cost components. Photonic interconnects do not generate heat and use less space than electronic copper interconnects, so more transistors can be put onto a chip. Most significantly, we have figured out how to do this using the same economical process used in manufacturing semiconductor chips today, enabling them to be stamped out by the millions.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Very interesting.. If cooling of the components is not a problem anymore, of even if it's reduced to a minor problem, it'll vastly improve the performance of chips.

Also, the fact that manufacturing these photonic components does not require any new technology and the existing technology can be used is indeed wonderful.

Any link about this? What is the source of this news?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @ss: here it is: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Some of the famous quotes by Dennis Ritchie: A program designed for inputs from people is usually stressed beyond breaking point by computer-generated inputs. The only way to learn a...
Hi I'm Bharath I have applied for Gate 2012 with lot of hurdles and losses. After so many trails for 5 to 6hrs i have successfully reached to payment gateway....
I used to write a lot. Write about my puzzles of my life,write about a girl....,write about my friends....write about the current world scenario and lots of topics.... 😁
Hi everyone, My name is Anthony Jarmie, new member to this forum. I found this forum very informative and hope I can gain some valuable suggestions and knowledge by participating...
Electrical Engineer Directorate Field Operations Directorate Location South East (Chelmsford, Oxted, Basingstoke, Bedford, Central London) Glasgow or Edinburgh, Leeds or Sheffield and Bootle, Merseyside Salary Under HSE’s current pay arrangements,...