Rain harvest system ( project)

Hey Guys!
I'm trying to design a portable rain harvest system for my capstone class. My project target is rural areas where people don't have good water system. I'm thinking of making a system which collects a rain water and purifies it. Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moving thread from 'Introductions' section to Mechanical engineering section.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    it is good to have such idea.... but will that do have enough space to collect rainwater....😕 if it is possible post on CE...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    suyoj1
    Hey Guys!
    I'm trying to design a portable rain harvest system for my capstone class. My project target is rural areas where people don't have good water system. I'm thinking of making a system which collects a rain water and purifies it. Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
    Portable and rural do not have much in common. Are you considering an inverted umbrella kind of device? Rain Water Harvesting (RWH) aims to trap water from short showers. Major rains will anyway fill up ponds, lakes and such. One needs a large catchment area to get substantial water. Even one square meter area will trap only ten litres water for a 1 cm rain. You may have to revise your project.

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

An Introduction to Rainwater Harvesting

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • suyoj1
    suyoj1
    Thank you for your suggestions. Yeah I think i should revise my project. do u have any cool ideas?
  • suyoj1
    suyoj1
    My plan is to collect clean, purified drinking water. Any suggestions?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    suyoj1
    My plan is to collect clean, purified drinking water. Any suggestions?
    Design it around a 50 litre polyethylenee carbuoy. Consider an inveted pyramid wire frame that can sit on the mouth of the vessel. You can even design it to close like an umbrella. A thick gauge polyethylene (UV resistant) sheet pyramid can be secured at the four corners of the wire frame A cloth filter (as given in the BBC link is fixed to the inside bottom of this. A fine mesh copper filter at the end of a polythene tube with a funnel at the top end is permanently fixed to the mouth of the vessel such that the copper mesh is sitting on the botom of the vessel. Copper metal is a proven bactericide and will keep the stored water safe.

Design the top frame and catchment canopy to be foldable for easy stowing and transport. The user deploys the frame attaches the canopy, opens the PE carbuoy lid and keeps the contraption out in the rain.

I still feel that while above may work, the best option is a permanent above the surface poly lined RWH pond. Any non electric water purifier can then be used to filter the water.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Somehow the BBC link did no get posted. Here it is:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • hemanthkota
    hemanthkota
    hi u could use double layered method, where no purification is done and the water is stored in underground layers, but it slight costly intially but once we make it remains use for long time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OLogic introduces a cell phone dock that makes interactive apps even more interactive. [video=youtube;bCivkzuY6q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCivkzuY6q0&feature=player_embedded[/video]
hi i have a saturated steam flowing in a line, the design condition for the orfice in this line was 40 bar, but now the pressure of steam is only...
In a cricket match, if wicket falls continously from 1st ball onwards, after the 10th ball, which batsman will be not out batsman? Note :All the outs are bowled outs!
Nvidia KAL-EI Chip With Five Cores Introduced - CrazyEngineers Intel Ivy Bridge To Provide Support For 4K Resolution - CrazyEngineers World’s Smallest Camera From Hammacher Schlemmer - CrazyEngineers MusixMatch App...
AOC e1649fwu Is AOC’s 15.6″ Portable USB Monitor - CrazyEngineers drive.google.com - Google Drive Aka GDrive For Online File Storage - CrazyEngineers Piezo Devices Offing Next Generation User Interface -...